• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Reminders if date passed when phone switched on

Fred S

Jul 6, 2010
I've been using the default calendar app and one problem I have is that if I have an event set with a reminder, and the phone is turned off when this date/time passes I do not get a reminder notification when I turn the phone on. Are there any apps that will do this, either a calendar app or a task list app, anything really?

I've been using the default calendar app and one problem I have is that if I have an event set with a reminder, and the phone is turned off when this date/time passes I do not get a reminder notification when I turn the phone on. Are there any apps that will do this, either a calendar app or a task list app, anything really?

Are there really no apps that will do something as basic as this?

Upvote 0
By "turned off" do you mean "completely shut down" or just "screen turned off but the phone is running"?

If the former, SirGaz is correct -- turning off the phone is like turning off your computer. Nothing is happening.

If the latter, you should see a Reminder screen when you turn your phone on (if you've set a reminder), and at the very least, you'll see a notice in the Notification bar at the top of the phone's screen.

Upvote 0
By "turned off" do you mean "completely shut down" or just "screen turned off but the phone is running"?

If the former, SirGaz is correct -- turning off the phone is like turning off your computer. Nothing is happening.

If the latter, you should see a Reminder screen when you turn your phone on (if you've set a reminder), and at the very least, you'll see a notice in the Notification bar at the top of the phone's screen.
Yes I was referring to the phone being totally off.
I still find this really surprising, you mention it's the same as a computer but on a PC this would work just fine e.g. an Outlook calendar event would come up as overdue if the PC was turned on after the event time.

Upvote 0
L
Don't know what 'default app' you are using, but the HTC calendar app will notify on past events that have not been acknowledged.

I'm using the standard calendar app that comes with the HTC Wildfire.

So it seems that if I get a calendar reminder and ignore it it will notify me again if I was to turn the phone off and on again. But if I snooze it and do the same it won't.

Still seems like poor functionality to me, compared to what you'd expect from (say) a PC.

Upvote 0
I can't figure out how/if the reminders work at all. Usually they go off, sometimes they don't. There doesn't seem to be a way to dismiss a single reminder--you have to dismiss them all. Pressing snooze and ignoring the reminder both do the same thing--snooze it. You can't set the snooze time--it's fixed at five minutes. I never know when the calendar will be in the notification bar to remind me. Android has the worst calendar reminder system I've ever seen. It's a good thing I don't use my Android for work. I would miss half my meetings. :thinking:

Upvote 0
No that's all right. It's just that we've seen a number of users thinking that it's helpful, or even necessary, to shut down or restart the phone.

If it's peace and quite one is after, one can simply mute the phone or use a scheduled automatic profile -- but of course, turning it off entirely is the ultimate battery saver. :) You just do exactly what you want!

Upvote 0
I'm intrigued by your suggestion of a scheduled automatic profile. How do I do that?
There are many apps that do this sort of thing. Personally, I use Toggle Settings which is free and simple-yet-feature-packed; but you might also want to have a look at Tasker or Locale (both paid apps), or others.

With Toggle Settings, I'm using the profiles "Home", "Work", "Night", and "Outdoors, each of which have their own presets for volume, wifi, and so on (you can include just those presets that you need for each profile).

Then, I've set up schedules to:

• Enter Night mode at quarter to midnight
  • Enter Home mode at 7am
  • Enter Outdoors on weekdays at 8am (commute)
  • Switch to Work between weekdays 9-5, then back to what it was before (which was Outdoors, usually)
  • Enter Low Battery if it drops beneath 25%
I'm confident that I'm not the one whose phone is blaring across the large open office space -- so I get to berate others for doing so. :cool:
You'll notice that on weekends, this switches between Home and Night only. I also have another rule that I keep disabled most of the time, which I use when I'm on vacation (rules can be defined but inactive).

You can also list Toggle Settings in the notification list for quick access (popup-style) on top of whatever else you're doing at any given time).

You can have 1-3 "panes" in the popup, one to activate profiles, and one or two to activate specific settings (Full Brightness, etc). You can configure what you want on each pane.

:)
icon14.gif

Upvote 0
There are many apps that do this sort of thing. Personally, I use Toggle Settings which is free and simple-yet-feature-packed; but you might also want to have a look at Tasker or Locale (both paid apps), or others.
Thanks for your very detailed reply. I can't actually find a free version of this app in the market or elsewhere, only a paid one. I'm guessing that either it is now a paid app or the free one is not compatible with my HTC Wildfire, perhaps because of the low resolution screen.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones