• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Removable storage

gloriousnumber1

Android Expert
Aug 22, 2010
Portland, Oregon
Am I the only one who doesn't like the trend of some high end phones not having removable storage?

The Droid DNA for example. If it had Micro SD support (and preferable the Maxx battery) it would be a match made in heaven for me.

Is there any actual trend of removable storage going away for Verizon, or maybe for a certain manufacturers in general?

I would love to know your thoughts.

Yes, I would love a DNA/Maxx battery/with SD!

There is definitely a trend in not using removable storage. The carriers want you to start storing everything on the cloud, this way they make more money. Every time you want to listen to a song or read a document you will need to download it, or take a picture and want to store it you have to upload it. The more you do the, more data you need, the bigger data plan you will have to pay for the more money they make.

Reactions: la sal
Upvote 0
There is definitely a trend in not using removable storage. The carriers want you to start storing everything on the cloud, this way they make more money. Every time you want to listen to a song or read a document you will need to download it, or take a picture and want to store it you have to upload it. The more you do the, more data you need, the bigger data plan you will have to pay for the more money they make.

I have to agree. It sounds like the way they will do this is by making the top end phones all without SD support, and then we will have to choose between mid-range or no SD support.

I have been using the same 16gb micro SD card since the OG Droid. I have been wanting to upgrade it, but now I'm thinking it may not be worth it. I have had 2-3 gb free on it with the music and pictures on it for a while now. I don't really NEED to get a 32 GB but WANT to.....

Still, If I'm going to go cloud, I will just get a PC backup that supports portable devices to avoid paying for dropbox or something else separately. I have 4.5 gb capacity on there now.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones