1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

remove bloat?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by phillyundead, Dec 17, 2013.

1. phillyundead

phillyundead Well-Known Member

i have all of the undesired bloat frozen but it somehow contiues to run. Some of the apps, such as Ant, use a lot of my ram and it kills the battery making the life poor. I've tried removing the bloat with titanium back up and other app removal methods and none work. Titanium back up tells me "failed to find system APK" each time i try. It did this to my on Some of my old LG's too. Anyone know what to do? :thinking:

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. Rukbat

Rukbat Extreme Android User

You're confusing two things. With Linux (Android is a version of Linux), unused RAM is wasted RAM. Android will always fill your RAM as much as possible. That doesn't use more or less battery. Every bit in your RAM is either a 0 or a 1 - whether they spell out the code of an app or they're random garbage has no effect on battery usage. (That's for an app sitting in RAM, not one that's running and using hardware. To Android, they're two totally different things. RAM is being used as a fast storage area in this case.)

What does, though, is having to load a program into RAM that was there a minute ago, and is needed now, but was killed by a user who thought that killing apps that aren't being used at the moment saves battery. It shortens the time between charges significantly.

Read Multitasking the Android Way | Android Developers Blog if you want a full explanation.

That would mean that the app you're trying to freeze was improperly uninstalled, or corrupted in some other way. (Uninstalling system apps, OTOH, isn't just a bad idea, it's slitting your phone's wrists - with a chainsaw. Some system apps depend on code in other system apps to run. Uninstalling what you may think is bloat may disable your phone. At least a frozen app [it's still there, it just can't run] can be unfrozen.)

Pretty much ... just let the phone do its thing. Android does its thing pretty well all by itself.

If you need better battery life, turn off all functions you're not using - wifi, GPS, Bluetooth, even data. Set the screen to blank after 5 seconds. (Use an app like Stay Alive to keep the screen alive when you're plugged into power.) The screen uses a large part of the power usage of a phone.

I can get over 3 days on a single charge on my Note 3 with average use (if you really need proof, I'll waste the space on the forum and upload a screenshot of 4 days, 18 hours and some minutes, with 16% charge left [I cheated - I just peeked at it]), and I never bother to look at what's in RAM, the phone isn't rooted (I've seen some reports that battery usage skyrockets after rooting) and nothing is frozen. (I have all the S-crap that I can get to turned off - it's annoying to have your phone tell you that it'll check the internet for "sugar" during dinner.) Granted, my "average use" may not be yours - I don't spend hours streaming Youtube videos, or talking on the phone for hours. It's my PHONE. I write my reports on my laptop. (With my fingers, writing reports on a phone means carrying both a phone and a full-size keyboard - in 2013 I don't call that portable. [My Panasonic Sr. Partner was considered 'portable' - that meant that one man could lift it off the ground without incurring medical damage.])

But even "more-than-MY-average" usage should give you a full day's use on a single charge.

Oh, it may be too late but it can't hurt. Fully charge the battery (use the charger and the original cable, not a USB port on a computer - it's much faster and it's better for the battery). Unplug the charger when the phone tells you to and use it normally (whatever "normally" is for you - all the radios on, flash fully on, it doesn't matter, you just want to discharge the battery) - without charging it - until the phone tells you to plug it in. Turn the phone off and plug it into the charger and let it charge fully - don't turn it on until it's fully charged. Do that 3 times. Then you can charge it whenever you like.

Even though you've been using the phone for a while, depending on your charging cycle the battery may still not be fully conditioned. The "3 full cycles" will condition it. (I still have 10 year old batteries that give me full charge times.) Draining power from an unconditioned battery isn't all that good for it.

When I buy a new phone, if it's not something that can run on the charger with no battery installed, I insist that they set the phone up on their battery, or replace the battery after setting it up. I don't want a partially damaged battery with a new phone. Some engineers disagree with that, and I don't know enough chemistry to give a cogent argument [I'm an EE, not a CE], but I know from many years of experience that either it works, or randomness works differently with me than with everyone else. (Thank you, Scott Adams.)

3. BlueBiker

BlueBiker Android Expert

That's all true, but if the default installation is loading XXX megabytes into RAM of some app or background service that you'll never use, then those XXX megabytes aren't available to other apps that you actually will use. It's faster and more battery efficient not to load anything that won't be used.

True, it's counterproductive to kill anything that'll have to be reloaded shortly afterward anyway. Android is generally smart about deciding what and when to throw out to make room for other things.

4. Bodycount

Bodycount Android Enthusiast

On my t-mobile version I can disable most of the bloatware without even rooting it. There are some apps I couldn't touch like evernote and flipboard. I don't use them and they don't load themselves into memory so I'm not worried at the moment.

Also don't use the samsung hub and I can't disable it. iheartradio for music, netflix for movies, overdrive for books... why would I want to pay extra from a samsung app?

5. Digital Controller

Digital Controller The Real Bass Creator

On verizon you can disable the bloat and uninstall the updates for it. :)

Otherwise getting rid of it requires root.

6. Rukbat

Rukbat Extreme Android User

But we're not talking about an app loading XXX MB of unneeded garbage, we're talking about killing apps that are in RAM - apps that YOU loaded some time in the past, and are still there. Some people think they save battery by killing those apps - they don't. It's either an "it doesn't make any difference" situation (except for the time and power to load the killer app and run it) or it wastes battery because you use the app (or part of it) again.

7. BlueBiker

BlueBiker Android Expert

The second part of my post addressed the pointlessness of killing apps that will just be loaded again. I agree with you that it doesn't help anything.

But in the first part I was just saying there is value to disabling the loading of default apps & services that the manufacturer wants running but that you may never have a use for.

8. ovrrdrive

ovrrdrive Android Expert

Regardless of what anyone tells you there are some apps that persistently run in the background that will turn your battery gauge into a stopwatch. Randomly killing apps is a bad idea but if you know what you're killing it can greatly improve your battery life as well as making the phone work better.

9. dustwun77

dustwun77 Endeavor to Persevere :)

First of all, Welcome to AF, phillyundead! :)

I have frozen that ANT thing. I noticed it was taking up a large percentage of what battery was used. As far as I know, I wasn't using it! The good thing about freezing it is if you do need it you can just thaw it.
    If you can freeze it in the first place, you must be rooted. If you are rooted, Nothing beats a nandroid backup to save your behind if you mess up. And you probably will mess up, lol.
    And No, being rooted, in and of itself does not mean that you will use more battery.

Edit: This appears to be a thread that might be better served in the root forum for your phone. Can you confirm you are on T Mobile with this phone? The all things root forum for it is located here, http://androidforums.com/t-mobile-galaxy-note-3-all-things-root/

We would be happy to move your post to the correct forum for your phone's provider!

Thanks for joining!

10. DevinNJ

DevinNJ Member

So how does one know what is acceptable to disable without doing any harm?

11. dustwun77

dustwun77 Endeavor to Persevere :)

There is a lot of personal responsibility involved in rooting your phone.

There are things you can do to protect it and recover it.

Research, ask questions, before you go ahead and do something. See what others have done and learn from their experience.

With Titanium Backup, you can freeze something and if you have ill effects, thaw it. If you have a proper backup, you can restore it if you need to, it is like hitting the reset button and then you can try again. :)

Here is a link to an XDA thread that was posted in our Sprint root forum of things this guy found to be safe to remove. Applications Safe to Remove - xda-developers

BlueBiker, DevinNJ and ovrrdrive like this.
  12. ovrrdrive

ovrrdrive Android Expert

Honestly I've never had any problems with killing any problem app. If I kill something I'm not using or that started on its own that I don't see a need to run and it starts back up I usually either freeze it or disable the start up ability of it. It's amazing what apps think they should be running all the time that you never use. Of course as mentioned above you need root to have complete control over your phone.

If I see the battery dropping quickly or the phone is heating up for no reason I check the list of apps and kill what ever is in there that shouldn't be, or just restart the phone.

A good example of this is Deerhunter 2014. It had like 6 parts that ran persistently all of the time. Using Android Tuner I went in and disabled all of it and now it only runs when i start it up. The link dustwun77 posted is a great place to start by seeing what is needed and what can be lived without. I use Android Tuner pro for all of my backup, freeze, and tweaking tasks but Titanium backup is really popular too. You can do a lot without root with these programs but to really unlock the beast you need root access.

dustwun77 and DevinNJ like this.
  13. phillyundead

phillyundead Well-Known Member

There were times I looked at the battery use and ant would be over 40 percent in an hour or less! I finally got it to go away though. My battery life is great as of now. Disabled a majority of the bloat. Hopefully I can get cyanagen soon.

dustwun77 likes this.

Samsung Galaxy Note 3 Forum

The Samsung Galaxy Note 3 release date was September 2013. Features and Specs include a 5.7" inch screen, 13MP camera, 3GB RAM, Snapdragon 800 processor, and 3200mAh battery.

September 2013
Release Date
Reviews