1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

General Remove Bloatware

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by sgarza84, Feb 13, 2014.

1. sgarza84

sgarza84 Lurker
    None

Feb 13, 2014
    Ok -
    So my question is, I've got an older android phone that I got through wal-mart's straighttalk plan. The phone doesn't have an active 3G or 4G service on it anymore, I use it only for playing games from the play store over my home wifi connection. What I'm wanting to know is, is there any way to get rid of the pre-installed bloatware so I have more room for games? I don't plan on ever putting another prepaid card on it to use the phone service, as the phone is a couple of years old now and the battery doesn't hold a charge for very long anymore.
    So can I get rid of the programs I don't use to clear up more free space? And if so, how would I go about doing that?
    Thank you in advance for your help.

(Phone Info)
    Samsung Galaxy Precedent
    SCH-M828C
    Android Version: 2.2.2
    Kernel Version: 2.6.32.9
    Hardware Version: M828C.07

Advertisement

2. girolez

girolez Often Off Piste

May 29, 2011
    Male
    Retired
    Les Gets, France
    Hadron likes this.
  3. Hadron

Hadron  
    VIP Member

Aug 9, 2010
    Spacecorp Test Pilot
    Dimension Jumping
    But if the pre-installed bloat is in the system partition removing it won't give you more space for user apps (unless you move stuff into /system, eg using Titanium Backup, which also requires root).

4. Rukbat

Rukbat Android Expert
    None

Jan 16, 2012
    Male
    Being retired and writing Tasker tasks.
    Fayetteville, NC, USA
    Go to Area51 (Area51 Galaxy Precedent Rom Releases) All their Precedent ROMs have a neat little trick - the SD card is used as "internal storage". I still have mine set up with 2GB of storage,and that's a lot of space to fill up. (Most of the bloat is gone too.) Read the threads to see which parts are important to you - the lastitime I liiked, some of the later ROMs didn't support voice search, which was important to me, so I stayed about 3 versions down. But if that doesn't matter to you, or the GPS doesn't (one of the ROMs didn't handle the GPS properly), it'll give you a LOT more space than just deleting all the bloat.

I don't know it it'll go past 2GB - that was the card I had at the time - but if you use 4GB or 16GB and it gets unstable, just repartition the card and reinstall the ROM. And the people who wrote the ROMs are always there to give you a hand if you need help.

5. Prepaidguy9081

Prepaidguy9081 Android Enthusiast
    None

Sep 28, 2012