1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Remove contacts old number

Discussion in 'Android Lounge' started by silasp, Feb 14, 2022.

1. silasp

silasp Newbie

Hi. On my Note 8 I have a few contacts who have changed their phone numbers. I can go in and add the new numbers but I can't find a way to delete the old ones. When I Google the question all I get is info on how to delete an old contact but not just an old number. I'm sure I must be missing something.

Appreciate any help.

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. Dannydet

Dannydet Extreme Android User

Why not choose edit, delete the numbers, punch in the new number and then save?

puppykickr, ocnbrze and Hadron like this.
  3. silasp

silasp Newbie

I've added the new numbers via edit and removed the old numbers but when I go back to each contact the old numbers still show. On my computer Google Contacts only shows the new numbers but on my phone the old numbers are still listed below the new ones.

4. Hadron

Hadron Smoke me a kipper...
    VIP Member

Hmm, never heard of that problem. Are you using the stock Samsung contacts app?

You should be able to just overwrite the old number (so not delete, just replace). But if not you should also just be able to open the contact to edit, tap the "-" next to the old number and remove it. I just tried that with an old contact on my s21 (so probably a newer version of the app than your Note 8) and it worked as I'd expect it to.

Maybe clear the cache of the Contacts app and restart the phone, see whether anything changes?

puppykickr, Dannydet and ocnbrze like this.
  5. svim

svim Extreme Android User

This sounds like you're using two different Contacts services, one is your online Google Contacts and the other is the Contacts app on your phone. Or if you do have syncing enabled for your phone's Contacts app, there's a problem where the syncing process isn't working.
    So do you have syncing enabled? (Check your Settings >> Accounts >> Google menu)

6. silasp

silasp Newbie

Clearing the cache and rebooting did the trick! Thank you all for your help. You guys are the best.

ocnbrze likes this.