• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Remove main Google account from Android without doing a factory reset.

This worked on my ally running 2.2 Froyo with Cricket flash---Its good for those of you needing to change your primary Google account and dont want to lose any flashing or apps---I only lost the emails and contacts from the primary account so I suggest you back them up if you want to keep them.

You can do this if your phone is rooted:
All you have to do is use Root Explorer and go to /data/system/ find accounts.db and rename it to accounts.db.bak so I could just name it back if I had a problem instead of doing a restore. I also did a Nandroid backup.. Reboot your phone and goto settings>accounts and sync>add account and your good to go!!!!

*You can use AntTek Explorer instead of Root Explorer--its free:)
**I would do a NANDROID backup before, just in case you delete the wrong file accidentally.

This worked on my ally running 2.2 Froyo with Cricket flash---Its good for those of you needing to change your primary Google account and dont want to lose any flashing or apps---I only lost the emails and contacts from the primary account so I suggest you back them up if you want to keep them.

You can do this if your phone is rooted:
All you have to do is use Root Explorer and go to /data/system/ find accounts.db and rename it to accounts.db.bak so I could just name it back if I had a problem instead of doing a restore. I also did a Nandroid backup.. Reboot your phone and goto settings>accounts and sync>add account and your good to go!!!!

**I would do a NANDROID backup before, just in case you delete the wrong file accidentally.
Man I could have used this several times. Thanks.

Upvote 0
I would try uninstalling google talk and all its associated data and than reinstall. Remember to back it up first. Let me know if that works :)
I would do that with all the google apps installed, just make sure not to delete any OS necessary ones of course lol. If your wary of doing the above, just goto Settings/ Applications/ Manage Applications/ Gtalk and clear data-clear cache-clear defaults. Than go open Gtalk and start that app from scrrrratch yay

Upvote 0
All you have to do is use Root Explorer and go to /data/system/ find accounts.db

I have Android 2.3 on a HTC Desire HD, I installed AntTek and looked in the /data directory, it's empty.

Any other ideas?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones