1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Remove NY Times app?

Discussion in 'Android Help' started by Android Question, Jan 3, 2014.

1. Android Question

None
    Stock Samsung Galaxy Tab 3 (GT-P5210) running Android v4.2.2.

Why did someone think I might need the pre-installed New York Times app when I live in Devon, UK?

Can I possibly remove it?

Advertisement

2. Hadron

Hadron  
    VIP Member

Aug 9, 2010
    Spacecorp Test Pilot
    Dimension Jumping
    Was this tablet US stock?

Anyway, if it's pre-installed as a system app you probably can't remove it without rooting. But you should be able to disable it: Settings > Apps, select the app, and select "disable" (if you can uninstall it that option will be present in the same place). Disabling will mean that it can't run and will disappear from your homescreen and app drawer. Since system apps live in a different bit of storage from user-installed apps, you'd not actually gain space back by uninstalling it, so in practice disabling will be just as good.

DocDick likes this.
  3. girolez

girolez Often Off Piste

May 29, 2011
    Male
    Retired
    Les Gets, France
    Hi

You can't remove a pre installed app without rooting the device (and I dont think that on its own is a good enough reason to do so) but you can disable it:

Menu button
    manage applications
    All tab at the top
    Find the app
    press disable button.

This should stop it from running or updating and remove it from the app drawer.

Disabled apps are listed right at the bottom of the all tab listing where they can, if wished, be re enabled.

Roger

Yes, what Hadron said :)

DocDick likes this.
  4. DocDick

DocDick Lurker
    None

Jan 3, 2014
    A parallel universe
    Guys
    Thanks for your very prompt and helpful advice - was so impressed with the speed and quality of the help that I have registered and expect to be a frequent visitor to the forum.
    And no, Hadron, it was not US stock - it was my wife's Christmas pressie that I bought from a well known high street catalogue retailer here in Devon. Wouldn't normally buy tech from them, but they were the only local stock.

HTC Hero (retd), Wildfire S (retd), Galaxy S4 (current)