1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Remove update options in market for Bloat apps?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by jaycbrf4, Dec 20, 2011.

1. jaycbrf4

jaycbrf4 Member

Is there a way to stop getting update notifications for apps I don't want to update? When I do get an update notification from Market, I like to just press update all. But I don't want to update the VZW apps or Citrix...

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. SpecialEd

SpecialEd Member

I do all manual updates for this reason. Zumocast? Really?

It is awful that they force crap apps on us that cannot be removed.

It is awful that they force crap bookmarks in the browser that cannot be delted.

Biggest complaint for my D3 so far. There is no reason for it!

robtstrong likes this.
  3. superflybribri

superflybribri Well-Known Member

I do not believe that there is an option other than Rooting your phone and Freezing the applications.

4. arparaspolo

arparaspolo Android Enthusiast

Root your phone using petes one click method. Then download bloat freezer from the market. Open up the freezer and freeze all of the bloat ware. Once done, it doesn't even show up in the app drawer. I know nothing of rooting or anything. I am a complete newbie. It is all just clicking. And if you don't like it you can use the one click method to unroot.

5. redsox985

redsox985 Android Enthusiast

arparaspolo is exactly right. Rooting the D3 is a one click method.

First, charge your battery to 100%, this is just a preventative measure.
    Download Pete's Moto Root Tools (this link will start the download of the .zip) and set it up.
    Once set up, double click the green icon to open up Pete's Motorola Root Tools.
    Grab your phone and go settings-applications-development-USB debugging and accept the pop up if it isn't already enabled.
    Connect your phone with the provided USB cable and set it to Charge Only Mode.
    Now, click Root My Phone in Pete's Moto Root Tools.
    This will go through 3 steps as narrated in the application. Do not unplug the phone until it says it is done. There will be a "You're liable for what you do to your phone from here blahblahblah" warning because rooting gives you the power to brick your phone, although rooting with this program will not. (I've used it a dozen+ times flawlessly)

Now, once your phone has done all its reboots and you get the all clear from the program, you can unplug your phone and head over to the market. I couldn't find Bloat Freezer in the market, but I think I'm also on a different market version with Liberty ROM 2.0 (market 3.4.4). Regardless, I suggest spending the $5 and change to buy a Titanium Backup license. IMO, this is the best root app. From here, you can freeze apps, back up apps, their data, and all system settings, select which apps can auto update, move apps to and from the SD card, uninstall apps, and schedule daily backups of any thing on the phone. The best part is that if you ever mess up your phone, the backups are stored on your SD card and can easily be restored.

The following may sound scary, but the chances of you needing it are next to nil, I'm sure arparaspolo can attest to this.
    Now, before you try rooting, although it's rare to ever have an issue with the program, I suggest downloading the MyBackUp Trial from the market and running that prior just to play it safe. If you somehow brick your phone with the root tool (I don't believe there is a single case of this happening in the rooting tool's 10 page thread over at XDA), just go to this link to unbrick your phone in about 5 minutes. This will restore you to box-stock and then you can simply restore from the MyBackUp file and be back where you were.

Once successfully rooted, I suggest heading into Titanium Backup and backing up "All user apps & system data", or go one step further, and download and install a bootstrap application, then create a Nandroid backup. I can elaborate on this more if you want. Essentially, it backs up EVERYTHING. It basically takes a snap shot of your phone at that moment (including the stock software, apps, data, etc.) and saves it in some zipped files on your SD card.

Shurple likes this.
  6. Shurple

Shurple Android Enthusiast

My computer doesn't see my phone. Says nothing's connected. I did exactly this, and when i connected my phone, the auto download drivers for windows 7 gave an error that they were not installed properly and now it wont see my phone at all. what do i do? the root doesnt see it either

trouble shooted this... the second it's on charge only my pc doesnt see it connected, so Root does not either.

So can anyone explain then how they should work together?

(turned on sync from charge only and one click STILL doesnt see my phone)

EDIT: was gonna delete this but realized it might help someone else. I needed to manually install the motorola driver. did that and VOILA!

there is no bloat freezer in the market

7. redsox985

redsox985 Android Enthusiast

I just remembered that you can break market links with TiBu as well, IIRC. This should take it off the update track, I'd assume.

Motorola Droid 3 Forum

Features and specs are not yet known.

unknown
Release Date
Reviews