1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Removed apps - Constant data use

Discussion in 'Android Help' started by Steven Knisley, May 8, 2020.

1. Steven Knisley

I have a Note 9 and I recently noticed that I was using extremely large amounts of data, like 2 to 7gb per day. I read the posts on the forum and saw the comments on 'removed apps' being the culprit. I checked my data usage and removed apps was definitely using enormous amounts of data. This is not data that was recorded and is still showing up due to my prior usage in the current months data. I downloaded Glassware and set it to display today's data only and it still shows massive amounts of data being used by 'removed apps.' I didn't uninstall anything from my phone today, so why is there such a large chunk of data being used by this removed app.

See screenshot attached:

Attached Files:

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. Hadron

Hadron Smoke me a kipper...
    VIP Member

An app that has been removed cannot still use data because it isn't there. So logically the problem must be misreporting of data usage by whatever utilities you are using.

Dannydet and mikedt like this.
  3. Dannydet

Dannydet Extreme Android User

Glassware looks to be another useless utility that reports false positives.
    Get rid of it

4. Steven Knisley

The phones reporting tells me the same information, I just downloaded Glassware to confirm what I was seeing. Also, something is constantly running because I can see constant data transfer on my connection arrows in my status bar, and I constantly time out when I try to make data connections.

5. Steven Knisley

The phones reporting tells me the same information, I just downloaded Glassware to confirm what I was seeing. Also, something is constantly running because I can see constant data transfer on my connection arrows in my status bar, and I constantly time out when I try to make data connections.

6. Dannydet

Dannydet Extreme Android User

Do a factory reset

7. svim

svim Extreme Android User

Looking at that screen posting you posted, it's showing you an accurate assessment of your phone's data usage. Note that 'removed apps' is a direct reference to data used by some app or apps on a given, previous day. You're making an incorrect assumption that previous usage just disappears when you uninstall an app. When an app uses data, that gets taken into account by your carrier in real-time as it's being used. Your carrier doesn't wait a week or a month or whenever to take a bulk collection of your usage, it's always an ongoing thing.

Hadron likes this.
  8. svim

svim Extreme Android User

Highly disagree with this assessment. The Glasswire app has a good reputation with a proven history. Its desktop/server services are well-known and widely used.

9. Steven Knisley

That report is showing the data usage for yesterday only. I didn't uninstall any apps yesterday, therefore there shouldn't be any removed apps data usage yesterday.

10. Hadron

Hadron Smoke me a kipper...
    VIP Member

It's still an impossibility for an app that has been removed to use data. So either this is being misreported or you are misunderstanding what it is showing. And for any data usage before you installed it Glasswire can only be showing what the system has recorded, so it's no surprise if they show the same.

Does that removed app usage look different if you look at different days? Just wondering whether the system records when data from apps that are no longer installed were used? See what it looks like tomorrow.

Dannydet likes this.