• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Removed apps - Constant data use

I have a Note 9 and I recently noticed that I was using extremely large amounts of data, like 2 to 7gb per day. I read the posts on the forum and saw the comments on 'removed apps' being the culprit. I checked my data usage and removed apps was definitely using enormous amounts of data. This is not data that was recorded and is still showing up due to my prior usage in the current months data. I downloaded Glassware and set it to display today's data only and it still shows massive amounts of data being used by 'removed apps.' I didn't uninstall anything from my phone today, so why is there such a large chunk of data being used by this removed app.

See screenshot attached:

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200507-235923_GlassWire.jpg
    Screenshot_20200507-235923_GlassWire.jpg
    132.5 KB · Views: 433
Looking at that screen posting you posted, it's showing you an accurate assessment of your phone's data usage. Note that 'removed apps' is a direct reference to data used by some app or apps on a given, previous day. You're making an incorrect assumption that previous usage just disappears when you uninstall an app. When an app uses data, that gets taken into account by your carrier in real-time as it's being used. Your carrier doesn't wait a week or a month or whenever to take a bulk collection of your usage, it's always an ongoing thing.

Reactions: Hadron
Upvote 0
It's still an impossibility for an app that has been removed to use data. So either this is being misreported or you are misunderstanding what it is showing. And for any data usage before you installed it Glasswire can only be showing what the system has recorded, so it's no surprise if they show the same.

Does that removed app usage look different if you look at different days? Just wondering whether the system records when data from apps that are no longer installed were used? See what it looks like tomorrow.

Reactions: Dannydet
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones