1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Removing apps

Discussion in 'Android Help' started by old_codger, Jan 12, 2016.

1. old_codger

old_codger Well-Known Member

Hope this is the proper forum.
    Samsung Alpha.
    1) Somehow I have an app/widget on my phone's lock screen. Appeared 3 days ago for no reason. I've searched Settings, but can't find a setting to remove the app/widget. How do I do it?
    2) A couple of years ago I installed an app that appears as soon as I turn on the phone. I've set it up to show time/date/battery and 3-4 other icons. Within the last week, those icons have moved - clustered at the top of the screen. I can't remember the name of the app I used to create the opening screen and a scroll through the apps list doesn't show me anything that sounds familiar. How do I find/modify the app?

2. Best Answer:
    Post #18 by old_codger, Jan 14, 2016 (1 points)

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

3. androidmachine

androidmachine Android Enthusiast

Did you phone get an update? What Android version are you using?

I don't know the answer to #2, but as to #1, can't you just go to settings ---> apps and find the app and uninstall it like any other app?

The only thoughts I have on #2 is that maybe you used Zooper or UCCW?

4. old_codger

Well, I don't want to uninstall the app - just remove it from the lock screen.
    Version 5.0.2

5. KOLIO

KOLIO Guest

It may help if you can post a screenshot of your lockscreen & give us detailed info regarding the model number of your device.

Mikestony likes this.
  6. old_codger

How do I get a picture?
    Samsung SM-G850A

7. KOLIO

KOLIO Guest

8. old_codger

Apparently neither method works on the lock screen. I can get snapshots of every other screen, but not the lock screen. I was hoping there was a setting to edit the lock screen. From your response, I suspect not.

9. chanchan05

chanchan05 The Doctor

Well, what is the widget that appeared anyway?

10. old_codger

My Data Manager. FWIW, Appeared on lock screen within 30 minutes of previous use of phone.

11. chanchan05

chanchan05 The Doctor

And you don't have that app installed? Do you have a PIN/Pattern locked screen?

12. old_codger

Hmmm, I know so little I'm probably not explaining this properly.
    When I turn on my phone, I see a screen created by an unknown app displaying time/date/battery. (I created the screen but have forgotten how.) When I hit the phone's RETURN key (bottom right) I see a lock screen - blue background with keypad on the bottom half. Above the keypad is the My Data Manager app/widget which I DLd months ago. Have no idea how it got on the lock screen a few days ago and want to remove it. I THOUGHT there would be a standard setting that would give me access to the lock screen but can't find it.
    How do I modify the lock screen?
    Secondly, how do I determine which app I used to create the screen I see when I turn on the phone?

13. MLSS

MLSS Android Expert

So you can't find this app in your app drawer?

14. MLSS

MLSS Android Expert

I downloaded the app and it showed up in my app drawer as "my data manager". Did you happen to hide any apps from your app drawer?
    I looked through the settings and didn't see any lock screen options so I don't know what to tell you. I don't use apps like this so I'm not real familiar with them.

15. androidmachine

If it were me, I'd try uninstalling and reinstalling the app.

16. old_codger

I'm not saying I can't find the app. It is in my app drawer and on a screen within the phone. My complaint is it on the screen. I'm going to try to uninstall/reinstall. Probably the easiest option.
    Thanks.

17. old_codger

Well, that didn't work. My Data Manager is gone from the lock screen but it was replaced by a widget? telling me how many unread emails I have. Any other ideas?

18. androidmachine

Are you sure that's a widget? Android Lollipop has notifications appear on the lock screen.

19. old_codger

I'm sure of nothing. I know about a week ago all I had on the lock screen was a keypad (bottom half) and, time/date (Top). At least when I check the emails, the lock screen widget? disappears, but I want to banish it forever.
    Version 5.0.2

20. androidmachine

Go into Settings ---> Notifications ---> When Device is Locked and change it to not show anything at all.

21. Mark Peterson

Mark Peterson Newbie

Go to settings > application manager > all > choose the app you want to remove and press uninstall.

22. old_codger

PERFECT. Thanks very much.

androidmachine likes this.