1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Root Removing Bloat, Take Care

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by LUMtnHwk, Jul 29, 2014.

1. LUMtnHwk

LUMtnHwk Newbie

Received my Volt today, immediately set about rooting/installing my apps/uninstalling bloat.

Figured I'd throw a heads-up out there - I uninstalled *something* and now I can't get to the home screen. Everything else seems to be working though. My phone just can't figure out the home screen - so I can't access my apps list even though I can use the phone, the pulldown menu, etc.

Generally, I uninstalled most of the LG stuff like Quick Memo and File Manager. I uninstalled Google apps that I never use (Play Music, Games, Books, Newsstand). I'm gonna fiddle around and try to get my stuff back; if I can get Uninstall Master or w/e to launch, I'll be able to restore it all.

Just a reminder to use caution when removing bloat!

EDIT:

APPS THAT ARE SAFE TO UNINSTALL

I am using "App Master(Uninstall Master)".

This list forfeits functionalities that I don't necessarily need or use. Use it as a guide, not an absolute mandate... if you happen to like something like Picasa, you probably shouldn't uninstall Picasa Uploader. Some of the things I'm uninstalling are things I use different apps for - e.g., I use Poweramp instead of the stock music app.

Lastly, this is a dynamic list. If something suddenly craps out because something else is gone, I'll update this. I make no guarantees here.

- SmartShareProvider
    - Picasa Uploader
    - Lumen Toolbar
    - Drive
    - Google Play Books
    - Google Play Games
    - Google Play Movies
    - Google Play Newsstand
    - Google+
    - Hangouts
    - Swype

Advertisement

2. mjhealy1978

mjhealy1978 Android Enthusiast

Sounds like you might have axed your launchers.

3. LUMtnHwk

LUMtnHwk Newbie

I may have, but I wouldn't have purposely uninstalled my launcher without previously installing and defaulting another.

Anyhow -

I couldn't get my Uninstall program to launch, so I went ahead and followed our "unbrick" thread. http://androidforums.com/volt-all-things-root/861292-how-restore-phone-dl-mode.html for reference

Worked like a charm!

Now I've got to reroot and reinstall everything........and until we get a recovery, I don't think I'll try removing bloat :D :p ;)

EDIT: For research's sake, I might go through this weekend and remove bloatware bit by bit until I have to reset my phone again, and document the whole process - what's safe, and what isn't. Of course, if we get a recovery by this weekend (unlikely), the whole thing would be moot.

bg4m3r likes this.
  4. bg4m3r

bg4m3r Android Expert

For reference, the stock launcher is called Home, and there is another app called Home Selector that handles picking which launcher to use. That list would be great. I keep removing something that causes a gapps crash at boot, but I can't figure out what it is as all over removed is seemingly innocuous apps.

LUMtnHwk and mjhealy1978 like this.
  5. LUMtnHwk

LUMtnHwk Newbie

Oh, yeah, I think I uninstalled that the first time through. That would do it, wouldn't it? (what a dumb thing to name your launcher)

=====

I'll be updating my OP with apps that are okay to uninstall. Check back for updates as I adventure further in to my phone.

6. bg4m3r

bg4m3r Android Expert

If you figure out what provides the shortcut ring l let me know... Although I suspect it may be part of something else and not is own thing.

7. LUMtnHwk

LUMtnHwk Newbie

Updated the OP.

bg4m3r, I haven't figured out the shortcut ring. I think it might be a feature native to 4.4?

8. bg4m3r

bg4m3r Android Expert

Hmm... Could be, this is my first experience with stock KitKat.

9. bg4m3r

bg4m3r Android Expert

Wasn't there more stuff on the list before? Did everything crap out on you again?

10. ODGeek

ODGeek Well-Known Member

Does anyone know what app is responsible for the "pop down" menu that appears when headphones are plugged in?

What about the nagging message when volume is turned up "too loud"?

Would be nice to disable these...

11. bg4m3r

bg4m3r Android Expert

Did you look in the sound settings? There's headphone related stuff in there.

12. ODGeek

ODGeek Well-Known Member

Really? Where? I don't see anything headphone related in my sound settings.

[​IMG]

13. Gendo420

Gendo420 Android Enthusiast

It's under settings > accessories

Attached Files:

ODGeek likes this.
  14. bg4m3r

bg4m3r Android Expert

Oh yeah, I forgot about those two items, lol.

15. Rarewolf

Rarewolf Android Expert

I usually do this process for phones that i get. Thank you in advance i know its not HARD work but it is very tedious. Again thank you.
    Cant wait to unbloat with your guide.
    I like keeping it stock.

16. trichome

trichome Newbie

Dang I went a little deep and axed something that controls my home button led and now it's just cycling colors. Kinda cool but not when I don't want it. Any ideas if it's a fixable thing or unbrick?

17. Gendo420

Gendo420 Android Enthusiast

Follow this guide and just reflash this non carrier specific Stock LG firmware, its already debloated just freeze MobileID and make sure you do a factory reset after you flash it. Then do a prl and profile update you'll be good to go.
    How To Restore Phone With DL Mode
    http://androidforums.com/showthread.php?t=861292

18. bg4m3r

bg4m3r Android Expert

Google Search, LG Search Widget Provider, Voice Mate and Quick Memo can be uninstalled. This will also disable the Pie Ring. You will need to clear the dalvik cache and cache partition after uninstalling.

Oddly, if you have Greenify installed, the Pie Ring search shortcut will target the Greenify Automator function. Not sure how to get around that, although it could make for a handy shortcut.

19. trichome

trichome Newbie

Thanks bro, got it working correctly with this guide.

20. itsnotadam

itsnotadam Newbie

Don't we need a recovery to wipe dalvik cache and cache? Or is there an app that does that? lol

21. ODGeek

ODGeek Well-Known Member

Answer my own question. "Plug & Pop" seems to be the pop down menu when headphones are plugged in.

22. bg4m3r

bg4m3r Android Expert

You can use root explorer to go and manually delete the contents of the folder, then reboot. There are also apps that can do it for you

23. bg4m3r

bg4m3r Android Expert

I've been slowly working on eliminating apps I don't use. I'm getting close to having everything off that I feel comfortable attempting to remove. (This process invokes making a backup, removing a few apps, waiting several days to make sure all is well, then removing a few more, and so on.) When finished, I will post a list of what is still on the phone and which of those are frozen. I am running the non-carrier specific ROM.

donjuro likes this.