• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Removing Bloatware - please help?!?

JSS12

Android Enthusiast
Apr 27, 2010
New York City, NY
Hey all,

So I finally rooted my phone the other night. Already did a nandroid backup and a Titanium backup.

Just installed SetCPU and now its time to remove my bloatware.

I have found MANY different ways to remove it posted online, can someone please recommend a simple easy (fool-proof) way for me to remove them?
I am not stupid, but I am definitely not technologically inclined - so step by step instructions (or a link to step by step instructions) would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks so much

I uninstalled most of the bloatware. Make sure you do a backup first incase you are going to need something back later. I froze a couple that I thought i may use later down the road, although odds are i won't unfreeze them again.

What is the difference between uninstall, move, freeze?
How does each affect the phone?

Upvote 0
Titanium Backup for Android ? Official Site

Hopefully their sections of FAQ's will answer the majority of your questions. There is one in Technical FAQ's that talks about freezing.

Seems like freezing will do a sufficient job of disabling those apps without drastically deleting them. While I won't gain any memory, I will gain performance speed and battery life.

TRUE??

Upvote 0
I'm on a mac, and that link doesn't help for macs (or so I think).

Any other ideas for a mac??

Thanks anyway, NilsE - I appreciate the effort

It is actually pretty easy to do on a mac following the instructions Jon provides in the guide. (http://www.jonamerica.com/technology/remove-bloatware-from-htc-droid-incredible-2-2/)
Here is whats different:

You need to download the SDK from Google here:
Android SDK | Android Developers

Once you have it, unzip it to your home directory (when you open a finder window, it is the directory named after your user name with a house icon on the left of the window). Rename the software development kit directory "SDK" (without the ""'s). This isn't necessary but just makes typing it into the command line later easier.

Now is where it gets fun. Open a terminal window.
Type "ls". This will list the contents of your home directory. You should see the software development kit directory that you renamed "SDK" in there.

Type "cd SDK" This takes you into the SDK directory.

Type "cd tools" This directory contains the adb program that you need to use.

Now you can simply follow the directions from Jon's guide. After you follow the steps and connect your phone, type "adb shell" and you will be in to the phone's guts and ready to remove some bloat!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones