• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Removing bloatware

All,

I am no stranger to root, or removing VZW bloatware...however, I am stumped with this new bionic i have. I have done basic root on stock rom (most current version of OS) Following the remove bloatware instructions does not seem to work, however, and I'm wondering if i'm doing something wrong. I have used Root Explorer to move .apk files (such as gotomeeting and citrix) to the sdcard-ext and they successfully move. However, when I go check the app list, they still show up and still run even tho the .apk files are on the sdcard-ext in a .bloatware folder. Any thoughts?

Thanks!

All,

I am no stranger to root, or removing VZW bloatware...however, I am stumped with this new bionic i have. I have done basic root on stock rom (most current version of OS) Following the remove bloatware instructions does not seem to work, however, and I'm wondering if i'm doing something wrong. I have used Root Explorer to move .apk files (such as gotomeeting and citrix) to the sdcard-ext and they successfully move. However, when I go check the app list, they still show up and still run even tho the .apk files are on the sdcard-ext in a .bloatware folder. Any thoughts?

Thanks!

Don't delete the apps, buy titanium backup and freeze the apps. If there's an ota update you won't be able to take the update unless you fxz your phone back to stock.

Upvote 0
I didn't delete the apps, just moved them to the sdcard-ext which is one of the accepted methods of removing bloatware. Why do the apps still show up, and why do they still run, when they're not even in the right place anymore? how do I get them to go away perm?

Rob

I have never tried your method of removing bloatware, so maybe someone else can answer your questions on that. From what I've learned though Titanium Backup is the recommended and preferred way of removing bloatware. You can freeze any application you want which will remove it from your app drawer and make it unusable until you unfreeze it again. So maybe that's something you would want to look into.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones