1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Root Removing clockwork recovery WITHOUT flashing SBF?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by spectrrr, Nov 24, 2011.

1. spectrrr

spectrrr Well-Known Member
    None

Nov 7, 2009
    Retail food store owner, former wedding photograph
    Boston, MA
    Is there a way to go back to the stock Droid recovery WITHOUT having to flash the SBF with RSDlite? I've poked around some and can't seem to find the answer.

I need to erase traces of root on this phone, and the only thing left is the ClockworkMod recovery.

Anything to take it off? system files that can be deleted or recovered, etc? or is the SBF really the only option? (I can flash the SBF if i have to, but I've got a couple driver problems with my computer and I Just didn't want to go through the hassle of troubleshooting them if I don't HAVE to.

I tried flashing this file as update.zip, but it didn't take right, just stuck it in a bootloop and didn't replace the recovery.
    http://androidforums.com/droid-all-...e-need-help-asap-gingerbread.html#post2872921

Advertisement

2. teddyearp

teddyearp Android Expert
    None

May 19, 2010
    Store Manager
    Pinetop, AZ
    Without knowing where you started makes a tiny bit of difference. As of now I know of no stock recovery image you could flash with the flash_image binary, however if you try the file from the thread you linked you should be able to get it done, with these extra efforts:

If you have CWRecovery, you don't have to rename it. Boot your phone into recovery. Then find and wipe data and cache. Then use (while still booted into CWRecovery) the install rom from sdcard and install that file. If that file doesn't work, google Pete Alfonso and find (hopefully) his stock (unrooted) FRG83G file.

This is the best I can do for now until I finish getting my server with its guides and file directory back on line.

good luck

spectrrr likes this.
  3. spectrrr

spectrrr Well-Known Member
    None

Nov 7, 2009
    Retail food store owner, former wedding photograph
    Boston, MA
    thanks for the info teddy. I "thought" I wiped data and cache, but it didn't take, so MAYBE I didn't :D
    I'll give it a try again this afternoon. If not, I'll look for Pete's

4. johnlgalt

johnlgalt Antidisestablishmentarian
    None

Oct 28, 2009
    Male
    Graduate Research Assitant | That part time IT guy
    3rd Rock
    Actually, factory reset does not revert the recovery.

Back when the Droid was first being rolled, there was a copy floating around of the stock recovery that you flashed via adb. Check some of the really old posts in this forum.

5. teddyearp

teddyearp Android Expert
    None

May 19, 2010
    Store Manager
    Pinetop, AZ
    No, I know that factory reset doesn't revert the recovery, but it helps avert other problems when flashing different roms.

6. johnlgalt

johnlgalt Antidisestablishmentarian
    None

Oct 28, 2009
    Male
    Graduate Research Assitant | That part time IT guy
    3rd Rock
    True, but he's reverting to stock, not flashing a ROM.

@OP - if you are getting rid of it anyway, why don't you want to flash via SBF? That would be the surest way to revert it to pure stock....

7. teddyearp

teddyearp Android Expert
    None

May 19, 2010
    Store Manager
    Pinetop, AZ
    Don't hate me John, but the method requested by the OP was to try to do this without flashing a .sbf file using RSD Lite, which is different than flashing a ROM. I don't blame him, as RSD Lite can be a very finicky program to use and henceforth, I try to recommend other ways. That said, by using a stock 'update.zip' file and flashing that, it is the same as flashing a rom.

Now the OP hasn't been back in a few days, but just in case (or for the readers), I did put together an 'update.zip' style file that will restore the two scripts the A855 uses to automatically check and revert to the stock recovery image. It can be applied in the usual way required of your custom recovery. Here's the link:

http://ted.servepics.com/nap/droid/teddysStockRecoveryScript_update.zip

good luck