• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Removing default apps

ok then, I'm trying to remove some of the stock apps, but seem to be failing miserably...

C:\Documents and Settings\Nik\My Documents\Downloads\ADB\ADB>adb shell
# mount -o rw,remount /dev/block/mtdblock3 /system
mount -o rw,remount /dev/block/mtdblock3 /system
# cd /system/app
cd /system/app
# ls
ls
com.htc.StockWidget.apk
com.htc.NewsReaderWidget.odex

(long list of apps etc...)

com.htc.WeatherWidget.apk
com.htc.TwitterWidget.odex
com.htc.TwitterWidget.apk
com.htc.StockWidget.odex
# rm -r HtcTwitter.apk
rm -r HtcTwitter.apk
rm failed for HtcTwitter.apk, Directory not empty
#
i get the same reply trying to remove stocks too.

Am i doing something blatantly obviously wrong here???

I want rid of...
News
Peep
Stocks
Talk
Youtube.

Help!!!

Upvote 0
You have to be in recovery mode. We don't have r/w access to /system (yet) while the phone is booted.

adb-windows shell mount /system -> mounts /system
adb-windows shell ls /system/app -> lists all apps installed in /system/app
adb-windows shell rm /system/app/appnamehere.apk -> removes app from /system/app

Be careful though! AFAIK, removing Stocks will cause your phone to reboot when you go to Settings>Accounts and sync. I think it's the same for Peep too.

Upvote 0
You have to be in recovery mode. We don't have r/w access to /system (yet) while the phone is booted.

adb-windows shell mount /system -> mounts /system
adb-windows shell ls /system/app -> lists all apps installed in /system/app
adb-windows shell rm /system/app/appnamehere.apk -> removes app from /system/app

Be careful though! AFAIK, removing Stocks will cause your phone to reboot when you go to Settings>Accounts and sync. I think it's the same for Peep too.

How to get in recovery mode?

Upvote 0
Remember that deleting system apps won't give you more space for user apps, unless you use adb to push them into the system partition.

Back when I used Sense ROMs I used Titanium Backup to "freeze" some of the unwanted system apps - this meant that they wouldn't run, but was easily reversible if it caused problems. I'm pretty sure that Peep was one of the ones that you couldn't disable safely, but Stocks was the first thing I froze and I never noticed any side-effect.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones