• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Removing Downloaded Mail from the Gmail App

DeMiNe0

Jun 11, 2010
NYC
Hey guys.

I'm trying to figure out how to do 1 of 2 things.

1. Is there a way to Remove the GMail and Mail App alltogether *Without breaking anything*? If I recall, I didn't think there was a way without breaking sync support for calendar and contacts.

2. If the above cannot be done, is there a way to keep the GMail app from actually syncing your mail, and removing any mail that it was allready sync up? I've allready disabled syncing in account settings.

I installed K9 mail, and rather use that, so that ALL my e-mail is uniform. (I have like 6 e-mail address's. haha)

1. Is there a way to Remove the GMail and Mail App alltogether *Without breaking anything*? If I recall, I didn't think there was a way without breaking sync support for calendar and contacts.

I don't believe you can without rooting, and even then, i'm sure it wouldnt work properly.

2. If the above cannot be done, is there a way to keep the GMail app from actually syncing your mail, and removing any mail that it was allready sync up? I've allready disabled syncing in account settings.

I was going to say, just stop it from syncing. If there is email left on the phone, just delete it, you wont get any new mail if its not syncing. Or you could switch the gmail account to a new one with no emails.

Upvote 0
I've tried disabling syncing of gmail. The sync date actually says it's a few days back, meaning it hasn't sanc for nearly 5 days. When i open gmail though, the latest mail is listed in the app, and if i delete any of it, it deletes it on the server too. I cant remove the account because i use it to sync contacts and calendar.

Upvote 0
I've tried disabling syncing of gmail. The sync date actually says it's a few days back, meaning it hasn't sanc for nearly 5 days. When i open gmail though, the latest mail is listed in the app, and if i delete any of it, it deletes it on the server too. I cant remove the account because i use it to sync contacts and calendar.

Just move all the emails in your inbox to another folder, that way you wont see them.

And FYI, you can export the contacts and calender, then create a new gmail account and import them.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones