• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Removing icons from Notification Bar

futurepro62

Jun 27, 2013
So I just bought my Galaxy S4 and am loving it, but my notification bar is cluttered with icons on the right side. These are NOT the notifications you can click "clear" to remove. They are smart screen, GPS, Silent mode, wifi, 4G, signal bars, battery and a clock. Is there anyway to remove some of these? A non-root way?

I'll admit, coming from an iPhone the multitude of settings can be a little overwhelming, but I don't think I see a simple option for it.:thinking:

Thanks for any help!

unfortunately i think you need root to do that. what i always hated was the little icons for emails and such that you can clear that seem to constantly clutter up the area up there. i preferred iOS's badge alerts with the perfectly clear notification bar up top only showing the vital stuff like battery, signal and that was it. even though Android does support rudimentary badge alerts, they still require the icons up top to work and if you disable that feature inside the apps it won't work anymore. Android really needs to incorporate the badge alert option for those of us who prefer it out of box IMO as i am so sick of having to constantly hit 'clear' to clean it up. badge numbers are so more organized.

Some of yours you can clear by simply turning off some things, like turn off your GPS (settings-->location and uncheck all of it) and turn off your wifi if not using it.

Reactions: funkylogik
Upvote 0
That's a bummer, I would rather have them enabled and just know they are instead of needing to see them... Do you know of a customizing app that might allow me to do that? Also (I don't think this needs a new thread) I am using goSMSpro and when I swipe to unlock upon receiving a new text it does not take me directly to the text, is there a way to change that?

Upvote 0
Yes, but it doesn't work on the lockscreen for some reason. I have dashclock with let's me click the message then swipe unlock the phone so I guess it's not a big deal. Would be nice to have the message pop-up like iPhone then my swiping to unlock takes me directly to it, but maybe it's just something i need to get used to.

Upvote 0
Yes, but it doesn't work on the lockscreen for some reason. I have dashclock with let's me click the message then swipe unlock the phone so I guess it's not a big deal. Would be nice to have the message pop-up like iPhone then my swiping to unlock takes me directly to it, but maybe it's just something i need to get used to.

Maybe try messing around with different launchers. I use custom firmware now and i dont use a lockscreen so its hard for me to test but im sure Go used to put pop-ups over my lockscreen that i could reply to without unlocking. I could also set the screen to turn on when i received a txt.
I use Nova launcher.
I dont know if it was the firmware i was using, the lockscreen app, the launcher app or a Go Sms setting that caused this behavior or a combination of them though sorry :beer:

Maybe check out Widget Locker lockscreen app. I used that for a while. It isnt free though so check out the description and mail the developer (nice guy and an AF member) if it will do what you want :thumbup:

Upvote 0
I prefer the image over percentage myself. Seeing the percentage dropping during use makes me nervous.

Mobile network is often an option when I'm visiting my deer friends or otherwise out and about. Most of my time I am near a WiFi and at work piggyback off theirs, so most of my voice use is through VoIP apps which also work with cellular data. The only thing I need is the icon telling me if I'm online or offline. I can certainly deal with a status bar not full of three gmail icons, one Google+ icon and a WeatherBug Elite severe alert. Would love it if I could make badge alerts universal. Little red numbers on all apps with counts. Sadly in Android that is only partially functional and I still get a status bar full of unnecessary icons. Whoever at Google thought folks prefer a icon cluttered notification bar vs clean, organized unread counts should have been fired

Upvote 0
Well I could care less for the signal, but I can't go without my gauge battery :D

Bro, you know i love you.... BUT.... :D ..... if you "could care less" then that means that your level of "caring" could be very high because theres always a chance that you could care LESS than that.
Whereas, in the good ol' U of K, we say "i couldn't care less" which means that it would be impossible for us to care any less than we already do so we must care as little as is possible (0%) :D

Bloody yanks with their wrong phrases :p:beer:

Upvote 0
Hey if the UK loves Improper English fine :) there, the word "bloody" has no relation to being wounded or covered in blood. And soccer is football, and baseball is cricket.

And don't get me started on the metric system. Bragging about going 100kph gets you laughed at, even though it sounds fast, and temps in degrees Celsius always sound damn cold

Upvote 0
The question is who ripped off of whom? Is cricket a ripoff of baseball or is baseball a ripoff of cricket? And rugby? Did it come before or after American football?

As for soccer, its not nearly as exciting as real football. The only game where one waits the entire match to see it end 0-0. Anyone ever hear of overtime? Soccer is the most boring sport to watch. It's just cross country running with a ball thrown in for no good reason

Upvote 0
The question is who ripped off of whom? Is cricket a ripoff of baseball or is baseball a ripoff of cricket? And rugby? Did it come before or after American football?

As for soccer, its not nearly as exciting as real football. The only game where one waits the entire match to see it end 0-0. Anyone ever hear of overtime? Soccer is the most boring sport to watch. It's just cross country running with a ball thrown in for no good reason

"real football"??? :banghead::banghead::banghead: :p:beer:
And here its called "extra" time :)

*dont tell anyone but im not even a football, any sports actualy, fan* :beer:

Upvote 0
Hey if the UK loves Improper English fine :) there, the word "bloody" has no relation to being wounded or covered in blood. And soccer is football, and baseball is cricket.

And don't get me started on the metric system. Bragging about going 100kph gets you laughed at, even though it sounds fast, and temps in degrees Celsius always sound damn cold

It's called football everywhere else in the world as well lol And baseball is baseball, not cricket :thinking:

As for the metric system well... Objectively it's not even worth a debate.

imperial-vs-si.png

A game that's played primarily with hands isn't "real" football. Soccer is real football, that's just a fact.

Reactions: funkylogik
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones