• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Removing someone else's gmail account from Galaxy Tab 3

Hi - I've read several threads about deleting gmail acounts, but most required access to the account in question.

Because our main tablet is still away having a screen replacement, we just bought a hardly-used Samsung Galaxy Tab 3 from an acquaintance, but got it less than a day before my wife had to depart overseas with it. I only had time to do basic app upgrades and install essentials before she left.
I noticed that Play store was using the previous owner's email address - I didn't have time to check whether mail was also set up for it.

There doesn't seem to be any deletion UI in settings/accounts.
I'd like to instruct my wife what to do (she will need to add several of our gmail accounts). A factory reset probably isn't an option.

I think the android version is 4.1.2? It will be whatever Galaxy came out with 6 months ago.

Welcome to Android Forums.

If you tell us which Tab 3 you are using we can move your thread to the forum dedicated to discussing it.

The first thing you should have done when getting it from someone else is to do a Factory Data Reset. Assuming it was never root-ed this would have wiped their e-mail address and reset everything. Since you didn't you have no idea what is installed on it or what kind of problems you may run into in the future.

I don't have your device ... to remove the account you can probably go to Settings | Accounts | Google and select their account. Then choose Settings and select Remove account.

If it was mine ... I would do a Factory Data Reset.

... Thom

Reactions: funkylogik
Upvote 0
My Galaxy Tab Plus is on 4.1.2

Assuming everything is largely the same, open Settings, scroll down to the part with the listed accounts, then select the Google account you want to remove. On the menu on the right side of the screen, click on the Google account name. A 'remove account' option should appear near the top of the screen.

Reactions: funkylogik
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones