1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support Removing system app

Discussion in 'Android Help' started by 10kats, Apr 13, 2016.

1. 10kats

10kats Lurker
    None

Apr 13, 2016
    Female
    I downloaded Slacker Radio and it ended up as a system app, which I cannot uninstall. That really ticks me off. How did it end up a system app when I thought it was a user app? And how to uninstall it on my new Droid Turbo 2. I've seen a few threads recommending a download to remove system apps but I don't want to mess up and delete something required. Getting rid of the NFL app would be nice too.

Advertisement

2. mikedt

mikedt 你好

Sep 22, 2010
    Teachaaa
    Jinan, China
    If it's a system app, that must have been done by Verizon. I guess they're a Slacker affiliate, like they are with NFL. Verizon have been an NFL partner for a long time. Carriers get paid lots of $$$$ to put this stuff on their locked, subsidized and customized phones, like the Droids. Only guaranteed way to avoid it I think, is to pay the full retail price for a non-carrier phone direct from a manufacturer. Or get an iPhone, Apple doesn't allow carriers to mess up their devices with affiliate bloat.

You might be able to disable and hide them without root though.

#2 mikedt, Apr 13, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 13, 2016
    svim likes this.
  3. Xavier Black

Xavier Black Android Enthusiast

Sep 21, 2015
    Male
    If you end up rotting your phone and remove slacker..its ok..but I strongly advice you not to mess with nfl..you will make your phone totally unstable..just saying.

mikedt likes this.
  4. mikedt

mikedt 你好

Sep 22, 2010
    Teachaaa
    Jinan, China
    So if you don't like football, don't buy a Droid?

psionandy likes this.
  5. Xavier Black

Xavier Black Android Enthusiast

Sep 21, 2015
    Male
    My bad..I was refereeing to the app NFC..not nfl..sorry about that..but if I were you I would look into what's "ok" to be freezed..if that nfl its just an app to watch football I don't thing you will have any further issues when uninstall it.

electricpete, psionandy and mikedt like this.
  6. badcatz

badcatz Well-Known Member

Nov 12, 2010
    Male
    mikedt likes this.
  7. 10kats

10kats Lurker
    None

Apr 13, 2016
    Female
    Really smart answer...thanks for nothing. Don't troll a thread and be a smartass when someone's trying to get help. I wouldn't own anything associated with Apple and I don't need some fool giving me crap advice. If you're foolish enough to think Apple has your back, gives you the best service and best products you're delusional. It's all about money and you're just one of the many sheeple's buying into a brand name.

8. Hadron

Hadron  
    VIP Member

Aug 9, 2010
    Spacecorp Test Pilot
    Dimension Jumping
    Mike doesn't use apple phones, and wasn't trolling on behalf of Apple (look at his stats and see how long he's been here).

He was referring to the fact that "Droid" means Verizon (it is not a generic term for an Android phone but specifically a Verizon trademark), and it's VZW who have bundled the NFL app, which Xavier had misread as NFC and advised you strongly not to remove.

scary alien, mikedt, badcatz and 2 others like this.
  9. MLSS

MLSS Android Expert
    None

May 20, 2013
    Male
    Director of a non profit
    Nelsonville, Ohio
    In the words of Chris Carter....
    COME ON MAN!!
    Mike wasn't trolling at all. He is a very respected member of Android Forums.

If you read something and take it the wrong way, go back and read it again to be sure.

Have a great day! [emoji217]

10. svim

svim Android Expert

Dec 19, 2013
    Illinois
    Maybe you should re-read your original query and then re-read mikedt's comment, it wasn't anything inflammatory or trollish. A common problem with Android phones is how much and how often phone carriers load up their branded phones with cruft and junk, something that iPhone users don't need to cope with. His comments were just a reference to that.

scary alien, psionandy and mikedt like this.
  11. mikedt

mikedt 你好

Sep 22, 2010
    Teachaaa
    Jinan, China
    FYI about brand names. Yes it's all about money.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Verizon_Droid

"The Droid series of phones are exclusive to Verizon Wireless. The branding Droid is a registered trademark of Lucasfilm that is licensed for their use. "

I prefer R2-D2 or C-3P0 myself. They don't have Slacker or NFL subsidy bloat.

EDIT:

FYI @10kats a Verizon Droid® Turbo 2 is otherwise known as a Moto X Style. Basically the same phone, but not sold and subsidized by Verizon Wireless, and so does not have NFL, Slacker, and any other stuff that Verizon affiliates or partners with. I have an Oppo phone myself, NOT Apple. :thumbsupdroid: But Apple has effectively told Big Red, that you can't put your shit on our iPhones, they're our property and not your "billboard", unlike Motorola(Lenovo), Samsung, HTC, etc.

Kickback!
    nfl-droid.jpg

BTW we like NBA but not NFL here in China. :D

#11 mikedt, Apr 13, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 14, 2016
  12. badcatz

badcatz Well-Known Member

Nov 12, 2010
    Male
    One benefit of a Windows Phone was even though Verizon would stuff it with some junk, you were able to actually uninstall it. The only things you couldn't remove were My Verizon (which is somewhat useful) and Verizon Backup (which wasn't useful). I forgot how bad US carriers are with bloatware on Android devices. I'm pretty sure my next device will be unlocked.

mikedt likes this.