• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Apps Rendering over the home screen

Narkane

Lurker
May 30, 2016
Im considering starting a project for an app that renders a little sprite of a character over your home screen (think like those virtual strippers or w/e for your desktop but maybe a virtual pet for your phone), and am trying to asses the feasibility. Are there any good sdks with support for something like this? What would those be? I'd like your phone to maintain all the functionality of the homescreen but with this little character rendered over it? Im realitively new to phone coding and am pretty in the dark on this, but before I even bother to start learning I want to make sure I'm not going to have to delve deep into the OS to pull crazy strings to make this possible. If just rendering freely to the homescreen (like over ur app buttons or w/e this character might wander) isnt something that is really readily supported then maybe another fix? Like capturing the homescreen in real-time and rendering that to an app with my sprite overlaid to create an perfect illusion to this effect?
Thoughts? Comments? Help??

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones