• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Repeating certain keystrokes....

D

Deleted User

I'm not sure if the Android developers don't like repeatinggggg keys, but I think it's annoying not being able to repeat question/exclamation marks, vowels, "n", and maybe other things that I haven't noticed.

I dun wnt 2 sound lyk da av3rag3 t33nag3r whu typez lyk diz. I don't type messages with tons of repeating letters, but I'd rather be able to do so than not.

Does anyone agree with me, or know how to do it?

Gerard

You must keep pressing "?" rather than just holding the button down. I guess I forgot to specify the method of repeating the keys, sorry.

AH, gotcha.
Yeah, I can see how that would be a bother. I know there have been times when I am emphasizing a point and LLLLOOOOLLLL at a fffrrriiieeennnddd, or something.

But like sw20matt says, it's not really anoying, pressing the button a few times dosent bother me nether.

Upvote 0
I'm old school, I type on my phone the way I type on a keyboard, by pressing each letter separately. I know characters repeat if you hold down a key, but this isn't a very good way to type, you'd have to adjust the settings on your computer to slow down the repeat rate so that "book" wouldn't look like "Booooook".

This would be a minor inconvenience compared to say, short battery life.

Upvote 0
I'm not sure if the Android developers don't like repeatinggggg keys, but I think it's annoying not being able to repeat question/exclamation marks, vowels, "n", and maybe other things that I haven't noticed.

I dun wnt 2 sound lyk da av3rag3 t33nag3r whu typez lyk diz. I don't type messages with tons of repeating letters, but I'd rather be able to do so than not.

Does anyone agree with me, or know how to do it?

Gerard

really? thats how the average teenager types? maybe one or two annoying people.. but certainly not an average

Upvote 0
There is a lot of back-and-forth here about a very basic reason for wanting repeating keys to the point of big time frustration for me. If I am typing a text message and make a mistake (which is at the beginning of a line), I have to hit the back arrow over and over to get to the beginning of the line. This isn't asking too much or anything out of the ordinary, is it. I graduated from a Samsung Intercept (which was lousy) to the EVO and am not particularly fond of it. There are many functions that work differently than the way we have gotten used to.

Upvote 0
There is a lot of back-and-forth here about a very basic reason for wanting repeating keys to the point of big time frustration for me. If I am typing a text message and make a mistake (which is at the beginning of a line), I have to hit the back arrow over and over to get to the beginning of the line. This isn't asking too much or anything out of the ordinary, is it. I graduated from a Samsung Intercept (which was lousy) to the EVO and am not particularly fond of it. There are many functions that work differently than the way we have gotten used to.
...doesn't the EVO have a touchscreen? Why don't you just use that to get the cursor to the start of the line?

Upvote 0
This is keyboard specific.

For example I use SwiftKey, which allows me to swipe left and wipe out an entire word. If I want to erase everything altogether, I can select "all" and erase as well.

Different Android versions have slightly different keyboards, and the beauty of Android is that you can have any keyboard you desire, that's available via the market or elsewhere (eg swype beta).

With the iPhone you get exactly ONE keyboard. No soup for you if you want a different keyboard.

Upvote 0
really? thats how the average teenager types? maybe one or two annoying people.. but certainly not an average

Theres people my age(mid 20's) that text like that...luckily Texting me seems to have broken that habit.

anyway my question to the op is are you holding down a key on the virtual keyboard or a hardware keyboard? If I wanna type FFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUU I can hold down the f key then the U key on the hardware keyboard of my MT3G slide and it'll repeat untill I lift. You can also save the long vowels into the dictionary and tap whether you want the word "no" or "noooooooo"

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones