1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Replacement Captivate - 10x better GPS

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by dantheman2, Sep 30, 2011.

1. dantheman2

dantheman2 Well-Known Member
    None

Jul 16, 2010
    Last week, I lost my original Captivate which I bought on day one in July 2010. On my original, the GPS always worked, but was kind of weak. It would take a long time to lock, then lose the tracking/signal every once in a while. I use it for tracking bike rides, navigation, geocaching, all sorts of stuff.

I had the insurance coverage so with a deductible, I got a replacement. Appeared to be a brand new cappy, but definatley newer hardware. Now the GPS works like it always should have. It locks on quick, indoors near windows stays locked on in places my old one never would. They really did fix the problem (now). I would also say that the original phone definitely had a hardware problem and not just bad software. Also, I don't think the screen is Super AMOLED in this replacement. It doesn't have that deep black that the original did, but it still looks very good. Now, finally, the Captivate I always wanted in terms of GPS.

D

Advertisement

2. CrimsonPride

CrimsonPride Android Expert
    None

Jul 28, 2010
    student
    north alabama
    how much is the insurance and deductible, isnt it like 5 a month and 50 deductable?

i ask because i dont have insurance and im getting a problem with my phone now, power button is broken, and i dont have an upgrade until december. so im going to give att a call and try to get them to let me get an early upgrade without the ridiculous $250 early upgrade, which is extremely dumb. but going with the galaxy s2, and just checking on the numbers to see if its worth the insurance on my next phone.

if those numbers are right, and im not sure they are. thats about $85 in monthly fees, and $135 with the deductible. not too bad but just wanting to see if im right

3. dantheman2

dantheman2 Well-Known Member
    None

Jul 16, 2010
    The insurance is $5 a month, but going up this month to $7 a month. The deductible was $125. It might be going up too. A little better than buying the phone outright.

Also, you have to add insurance within 30 days of activation, so you can't add it to a phone you had for a year.

Dan

4. shark974

shark974 Well-Known Member
    None

Aug 18, 2010
    I dont believe the $125 deductible is going up on the Captivate. It is rising on some phones in conjunction with the increase to $7, but not the Captivate.

I'm reconsidering the insurance now, probably will drop it. I learned that if you buy with a major credit card you're automatically warranty covered on electronics for two years anyway (1 yr manufacturer+1 year extended by CC company). However that doesn't cover loss, theft, or accident...

I always kinda figured that if I had to get a brand new Captivate through insurance, the GPS would work. Now it's confirmed.

Sadly it's too late for me to do much about this phones broken GPS. I'm past the 1 yr man. warranty, way past ATT's 30 days, etc. Looking to my next phone in a few months anyway I guess. Still ticks me off, somehow I feel like I deserve a new phone (preferably a SGS2 lol) free over this.

Not sure why I never complained earlier to ATT etc. I guess I just kept thinking "the next update will fix it". Especially in regards to Froyo. Then once I got Froyo GPS seemed to work OK for a while, which dragged out some more time. I guess another thing was with the manufacturers warranty I knew I'd have to send the phone off by mail and wait to get it back, and that sounded like a nightmare. This was my first smartphone and I didn't want to give it up. What would I use in the meantime? It's not like I have a backup phone laying around. Etc. So I just accepted it...

I wonder if I call and bitch a lot we could work something out...however now I dont even want the SGS2, waiting for something better. Plus I know they have such easy out, all they have to do is say "why didn't you get it fixed under warranty you had a year?" Plus the "work something out" I'm evisioning is I get to buy a SGS2 on contract price of $200 before my upgrade eligibility. Which means I'd be locked into it, when the Nexus Prime etc are coming. The only way it would be worth it is if I got a SGS2 FREE which aint happening...