1. Check out our app, Forums for Android! Download and leave feedback here!

Accessories Replacement Charger

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by narf, Oct 26, 2010.

1. narf

narf Well-Known Member

May 7, 2010
    I've read in a few posts that it is recommended to use an "official" charger. Why is that? The HTC charger outputs 5V (1A). If I buy a generic wall to USB charger that has the same output is there any actual difference? What about the USB cable itself? Does that have to be official too?

For instance: Monoprice USB Charger

Advertisement

2. Mr. Boom

Mr. Boom Well-Known Member

Jul 23, 2010
    EOD/UXO
    Nevada
    I don't know about official. I have used my old charger from my LG Dare, my daughter's LG Env3 charger, My wife's Samsung Reality, and my other Daughter's LG Accolade. All work fine. Any USB cable should be fine.

3. necosino

necosino Well-Known Member

Apr 14, 2010
    Accountant and semi-pro poker player
    Upstate NY
    I use chargers from MonoPrice.com (for like $3) and they do output 1A and have worked flawlessly over the past 6 months of having the Incredible.

They recommend that we use their official chargers and cables, because, well.. they're a corporation trying to make money, lol... But in reality the hardware is all the same (has to be in order to be USB certified), just the outside case and branding is different.

4. narf

narf Well-Known Member

May 7, 2010
    Apparently this charger doesn't work for the Droid X so that has me wondering how the phone knows it's not a motorola charger?