• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Replacement device/service advice

S

ScribeTheMad

Long story short I upgraded from an Incredible to an Incredible 2 just under 2 months ago. I went with that because I desperately needed a replacement phone and it was the easiest way to stick with my Verizon Unlimited plan.

Well the Dinc 2's radio has now died on me leaving me even more desperate for a replacement (and it seems I'm SOL because I bought it from Amazon)

I'm thinking it's time to bite the bullet and get something at least 2013, and I'm liking the Galaxy S4 and Note 3 as options, but what I can't find answers on is what impact will those devices have on my unlimited data? They're both listed as simply "LTE" phones.

<Important part>
I in no way expect my unlimited 3g to translate into unlimited 4g, but lets say I buy a S4 off contract and go to add it. As a 4g device will it run on 3g at all? Can I switch it to 3g at will to use my unlimited when I need it? Will it simply only connect to 3g since I don't have a 4g plan?
</Important part>

I pretty much have to keep the unlimited plan, as I tend to use between 3 and 7 gigs a month, and their current plans would run me an additional $90 for a measly 8 gigs, more than doubling my monthly bill. Don't care about being limited to 3g, it works fine.
I suppose this is more a service question than a direct Android question but I don't know where else to look for answers.
Any helpful information would be greatly appreciated

ScribeTheMad

So what your looking at is that you want a new phone, but you have no idea if 4G will mess with your contract. The answer is that, if it's an Unlimited contract, its unlimited on every phone, unless specified by the Provider. Basically meaning, if you want the new 4G phone, go for it, But I personally would ask the Provider about it.
Hope I could help!
-Amber

Upvote 0
I found this fairly recent post on another website,stating that they'd successfully upgraded from a 3G phone to a 4G LTE phone & keeping unlimited data:

Re: [Verizon] Have 3G phone with unlimited data, want to buy a 4G phone to upg. - Cellphones, Providers, and Plans | DSLReports Forums

The key being,you'll have to buy the phone up-front,100% out-of-pocket/off-contract to do so.

As the others who responded here,anything & everything is always subject to change,so,play it safe & verify w/VZW before making any changes:

Welcome to Verizon Wireless Support | Verizon Wireless

If you'd like to see how others have fared w/VZW & keeping unlimited data,feel free to peruse our own VZW Forum:

Verizon - Android Forums

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones