• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Replacement Eris on it's way...

Ellie914

Jul 29, 2010
So a week or so ago I called Verizon and complained about all the issues with my phone...you know the drill. They suggested I did a factory reset which I did. Waited a week and the phone is doing the same things. So I called again today and they are sending me a "certified like new replacement" whatever that means. Should be here tomorrow.
What are the odds that it will have the same issues as the one I currently have?? Pretty much the same issues as everyone else, dialer lag, not getting texts, my home screen has a mind of it's own and scrolls left and right without me, I could list a bunch more...
If I have trouble with this one too and I keep complaining will they eventually send me a diff phone or just keep sending the same thing.
Honestly I'm hoping this one is better...I like the phone just hate the issues. Who wants to wait 30 seconds to be able to answer the phone and then 30 sec to be able to hang it up etc.

Thanks for listening!! HAHA :)

Yeah I did all that yesterday when I got the phone. Used it all day yesterday and now when I tried calling my hubby he could hear me but I couldn't hear anything. He tried calling me back and the same thing happened when I hit answer. I couldn't hear anything and he could hear me.

The classic silent call bug, Ellie. :(

Temporary remedies are posted here and there, but replacement is still the best shot, it appears, sorry to say.

Upvote 0
Great... :( So am I supposed to call Verizon again and tell them that it's not working. They are going to think I'm crazy!! Ugh it's such a pain to have to reset everything just to not have it work and now I'm prob going to have to do it again. UGH!!! What are the odds that they will send me a totally diff phone, prob pretty slim huh??

Upvote 0
Great... :( So am I supposed to call Verizon again and tell them that it's not working. They are going to think I'm crazy!! Ugh it's such a pain to have to reset everything just to not have it work and now I'm prob going to have to do it again. UGH!!! What are the odds that they will send me a totally diff phone, prob pretty slim huh??

I'm afraid another replacement is about it; but take heart, some hit a good one after only two or three.. the Verizon reps may even suggest a different model for you, such as the Incredible or a Droid.. we've seen all sorts of reports in these forums.

Upvote 0
Thanks! I'm going to call them in a few min. I just made a call and put it on speaker phone and it worked fine..then took it off speaker and couldn't hear anything again. Blah...stupid phone.

ETA: I called and they are sending me another Eris and it should be here monday...How many of these will I have to go through?? LOL

Upvote 0
someone should make a post with a poll, of how many Eris refurbs youve had,.... verizon has got to end out soon right lol it seems everyone and there kids have gone through 3. including myself. I wonder what would be offered once they run out. not everyone has the extended warranty tho and the warrenty for the eris has to be coming up right?

Upvote 0
someone should make a post with a poll, of how many Eris refurbs youve had,.... verizon has got to end out soon right lol it seems everyone and there kids have gone through 3. including myself. I wonder what would be offered once they run out. not everyone has the extended warranty tho and the warrenty for the eris has to be coming up right?

It's strange, all right. I'm thinking that each Eris first brought back to the stores becomes somebody's "refurb," so the point of diminishing returns has to be reached soon. ;)

Thus the offers for Incredibles and even Droids we hear about: they ran out of Erises in that area?

Upvote 0
I wish they would run out of Erises in my area...I'm not impressed so far and just bought the thing in February. I guess I should have done more research before hand.

It's been awesome all weekend only talking on speaker whenever I get a call with 4 kids in the vicinity at all times!! Yup great times!! LOL

Upvote 0
I went through three Eris's in about a three week period and then I started having the audio bug. I went to the store and explained to them all the problems I have gone through and they had a droid 1 shipped to me and that is like night and day. I also received froyo right when I turned it on.:D extremely fast now.

Upvote 0
I'm afraid another replacement is about it; but take heart, some hit a good one after only two or three.. the Verizon reps may even suggest a different model for you, such as the Incredible or a Droid.. we've seen all sorts of reports in these forums.

Apparently those reports are either untrue or highly unlikely. I just got a replacement for my Eris that pretty much was so slow to be useless ever since I got the 2.1 OTA. I read about the upswap around the internets. Just out of curiosity I called to check what model vzw had sent and the person told me a Eris refurb. I asked her about a possible upswap and she told me the _only_ way that could happen is if they happen to have ZERO inventory at that particular moment in time when they're placing the replacement order. Otherwise, you get standard-issue refurbs (they like to call it "like-new device", btw). Not sure if the third or four failure they decide to upswap you or not but for first and second swap I have not seen (first hand) any evidence of upswap to Incredible.

Upvote 0
Apparently those reports are either untrue or highly unlikely. I just got a replacement for my Eris that pretty much was so slow to be useless ever since I got the 2.1 OTA. I read about the upswap around the internets. Just out of curiosity I called to check what model vzw had sent and the person told me a Eris refurb. I asked her about a possible upswap and she told me the _only_ way that could happen is if they happen to have ZERO inventory at that particular moment in time when they're placing the replacement order. Otherwise, you get standard-issue refurbs (they like to call it "like-new device", btw). Not sure if the third or four failure they decide to upswap you or not but for first and second swap I have not seen (first hand) any evidence of upswap to Incredible.

It has happened, but you have to be pretty lucky. They are the VAST minority. Refurbs usually are fine. But can be a hit or miss sometimes. Interestingly, mine was done via overnight shipping. Too bad it was on Friday. I had to wait until Monday. But it arrived from Tennessee to South Dakota within 6 hours though Monday morning. The box was beat to smitheroons but the phone itself has been working fine for 3 months. :D

Upvote 0
I actually did get "upswapped" to the Incredible after going through 2 refurbed eris'. I'm not gonna say it'll happen for everyone because my CSR was exceptually nice and even gave me the extended battery for free and replaced all my accessories. I guess it depends on the rep and your attitude, I was offered the Incredible, I didn't ask or even implied that I wanted something different.

Upvote 0
If you're polite, you stand a good chance for the upgrade to a newer, better phone. You may need to exaggerate a bit, but you can combat the guilt that the rep is also probably lying to you or giving you the runaround (probably through orders from higher-ups, but still..) to get you to keep this phone which will probably never see another update again.

Upvote 0
You are lucky to get the incredible. We are having problems with our fifth eris (3 to the silent call issue, 1 to gps failure) and now the speaker went out. Verizon offered us 4 options, none of which were very exciting. Option 1 replace the phone again Option 2 A Motorola Droid for $189 Option 3 A Devour or Ally for $179 Option 4 A Incredible for $269 after a $100 mail in rebate and a contract extension for another year. Since my wife hates keyboards that left us with 2 options and Option 4 didn't seem like Verizon was really trying to help. Therefore Option 1 is what I went with and am waiting for a 6th and hopefully last Eris replacement. As they say in Nebraska go big red! :(

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones