• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Replacement Phones

Where are you getting this from?

There are videos and pics of the EVO all over the net. I was thinking about the video within the Engadget review at the time.

---

I learned of a way to confirm whether the phones are refurbs.

I think this is worth sharing. I originally read this in a post by drjrdemelo.

Anyone who may be concerned that their "new" replacement is actually a refurb can do this. To check within the OS to see if there are any records of refurbishment:

Call ##778 > View Mode > Display

---

I presume that seeing the following means your phone is in fact new, not refurbished:

Refurbishment Status
<Not Available>

Refurbishment Date
<Not Available>

This put my mind at ease when I received my replacement Inc.
I hope this info helps someone else.

Upvote 0
I am waiting on a supposed new replacement. They ordered it last Thurs/friday from online customer service and said it would be here in 5-7 business days. Also told me to do so they put a temporary charge on my account of $184. Tomorrow will be 5 business days and still not tracking number so on monday/tuesday if I have nothing yet I am going to call them and see what's up. They said the replacement is brand new and I have to return all original accessories with my original phone and make sure that I hadn't removed the UPC from the old box or had reattached it.

If it is a new replacement, it will be longer than 5-7 days, as it will go into queue like any other order for a new phone. Based on the date they ordered it for you, they should have given you a date it will "ship by". Those dates are clearly posted on the InfoManager intranet for all VZW employees to view.

Upvote 0
What I meant was, why are you saying the problem is definitely with the optical joystick?

Oh sorry. Simply because the optical joystick has the built-in capability to swipe screens. Some of us can swipe screens just by crossing the joystick with a flashlight. One can't swipe screens by dragging a finger, or light, across any of the other sensors on the phone.

I get dizzy with all of the threads on so many forums; so, I'm not going to collect citations from every thread I've read. ;) You can search for them (here, Android Central, HTC's forums, etc., etc.) and come to your own conclusions.

What I do know, though, is that my new replacement arrived yesterday. The joystick works properly, and I have not seen the screens change themselves in ANY of the given situations that drove my original Inc nuts.

There is a bad batch of phones. Anyone that is bothered by this problem -- you deserve a good phone. :)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones