1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support Replacing a screwed-up phone with a clean new one.

Discussion in 'Android Help' started by Ivan Berger, Jun 3, 2016.

1. Ivan Berger

Ivan Berger Member
    None

Oct 21, 2015
    Male
    My first Android phone, a year old, has developed many problems: slow, acknowledges taps without doing anything, distorting horribly with hands-free in my car (though that might be the car), draining the battery even with the screen and all apps off, launching apps I didn't ask for..........ad nauseam.

The maker says I should back up everything (which I've now done), reformat, then reload the stuff I've backed up. But is the problem in the phone itself, or in the stu ff I've backed up--and if the latter, how can I tell what I can and can't safely restore?

In the meantime, I've bought a better phone. If I just move the SIM card and Micro SD card to the new one, will it get screwed up, too?

Advertisement

2. chanchan05

chanchan05 The Doctor

Jun 30, 2011
    Male
    SIM card, no issues. SD card might be another matter. Some of the issues you experience may be caused by a bad SD card, especially if you move some of the apps onto it.

As for restoring, just don't restore the backed up apps, and reinstall them from play store and try to retrieve from online backups of the app if any. If they don't, restore the app data one by one, giving sufficient time in between to know if the last app installed is causing any problems.

Phalon4 likes this.
  3. Ivan Berger

Ivan Berger Member
    None

Oct 21, 2015
    Male
    Thanks. I moved the SIM card and all is well, other than differences between my old phone and new which I still need to figure out. (Complicated by the fact that I'm fairly familiar with KitKat but Lollipop is still new to me.)