1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

replacing htc desire.

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by nolia, Aug 10, 2011.

1. nolia

nolia Newbie
    None

Sep 20, 2010
    student
    Buckinghamshire, UK
    What do you guys recommend?

Advertisement

2. evohicks

evohicks Android Expert

Jun 26, 2011
    Male
    Shropshire, UK
    Hi, I am pretty sure the most popular 2 phones on the market today are the HTC Sensation and the Samsung Galaxy S2, I went for the S2 and have no regrets at all, excellent phone, but you might want to take a look at the Sensation also, I have not tried that but its pretty much the same spec as mine.

3. nolia

nolia Newbie
    None

Sep 20, 2010
    student
    Buckinghamshire, UK
    Yeah those are the 2 I had in mind. There is also a galaxy 2 + out soon. Battery life, what's the Galaxy like?

4. Rafalema

Rafalema Well-Known Member
    None

Jan 22, 2011
    Finland
    Galaxy is way too plasticcy at least for me, and the sensation has touch screen issues.

I'd keep your desire and wait for something better.

5. matttye

matttye Android Expert
    None

Apr 26, 2010
    Senior Legal Secretary
    Lincoln, England
    Galaxy S2 is getting 5 star reviews nearly everywhere... you definitely wouldn't regret buying it, but better phones are rumoured to be just around the corner so might be worth waiting. ;)

6. mbatson89

mbatson89 Android Enthusiast
    None

Apr 21, 2010
    UK
    Better phones will always be rumoured, if you always waited based on rumours then you'd never have a phone ;)

If you're looking for something right now then it's either SGS2 as said, although i agree it feels horribly plasticky and not very well made but is very very fast. Samsung's UI is a bit of a dog compared with HTC Sense too.

Personally and this is what i have done. Get the Sensation. Great looking phone, very very fast too. No touch screen issues to report here although i have seen others reporting it but this will almost certainly be fixed in a software update soon.

7. hellybob

hellybob Member
    None

Jan 30, 2010
    I have just gone from the Desire to the Galaxy S2.

So far I love it and it solves all my little niggles with the Desire. These were mainly space related and how bluetooth connected with my car.

It's a great phone.

8. amg_1969

amg_1969 Well-Known Member
    None

Aug 15, 2010
    East Anglia
    I have just retired my Desire, and have replaced it with the LG Optimus 2X, its a flyer, the screens lovely, feels well made and even though it had some dubious reviews I love it, and its available for well under

9. nolia

nolia Newbie
    None

Sep 20, 2010
    student
    Buckinghamshire, UK
    The Desire is gone already so hence me asking fellow android fans what will be the ideal Desire replacement. The Desire is still a legend in my eyes it really pulled the strings for HTC like Messi has done for Barca lol. I had a play with both phones today at carphone w.house. To be honest 5 Megapix is adequate for non professional photographers (that's MY opinion). From the looks of it they all where on par but felt the Galaxy was a edge better in browsing. As for design HTC nailed it. The Galaxy has more HDD space or memory space. I will take time to decide before plunging as I don't like returning unless something is wrong with phone.

10. matttye

matttye Android Expert
    None

Apr 26, 2010
    Senior Legal Secretary
    Lincoln, England
    Yeah I agree... but every so often a rumour comes along that's too good to pass up imo :p

Nexus Prime is rumoured to have a 4.5" Super AMOLED HD touchscreen (720p resolution), dual core 1.5GHz processor, Android Ice Cream Sandwich :D

11. StevenSeed

StevenSeed Android Enthusiast
    None

Apr 9, 2010
    Male
    Network Analyst
    South Yorkshire, UK
    Is it just me or do quite a lot of people seem to be overlooking the Motorola Atrix? I've had a look and that looks like a pretty nice phone. I just wondered why no one ever mentions it when talking about upgrades from the Desire?
    :cool:

12. evohicks

evohicks Android Expert

Jun 26, 2011
    Male
    Shropshire, UK
    Not even looked at the Atrix to be honest. Another reason I got my SGS2 was even though its one of the slimmest phones on the market, I am going to need a cover/case on it due to my nature of work, so I had to consider that before buying the phone. In my view the Sensation was going to be too bulky with the case I had in mind.
    I have no doubt that the Sensation, or maybe one or two other phones might be a contender to replace the Desire, I had the Desire and I have no complaints about the phone, or HTC, a great experience, now my wife has it, she absolutely loves it.
    As for the posts above about up and coming phones, there are always going to be improvements, to me, I think the 4.3" screen is on the limit for a phone, anything bigger and you are getting into tablet territory.

The only reason I will have to upgrade from the Samsung (or if I had the Sensation) would be future software/firmware updates, as everything is available right now that I need.

13. deanshep85

deanshep85 Android Expert
    None

Nov 22, 2010
    UK
    I think the Atrix gets overlooked when you take away the whole dock/web top business, its not really anything special other than just a top spec phone...

where as the Sensation and the Galaxy 2 are very top spec phones (if that makes sense lol) its just what I've seen anyway..

StevenSeed likes this.
  14. StevenSeed

StevenSeed Android Enthusiast
    None

Apr 9, 2010
    Male
    Network Analyst
    South Yorkshire, UK
    I think this makes sense. Are you saying that, for example, the Atrix does have a dual core processor but it's not THE BEST dual core processor available?

I'm due an upgrade at midnight on 1st September and the more I read the reviews and watch the demos on this Atrix the more I am getting to like it - and the bigger battery is the dash of full fat milk in the tea for me.

Don't get me wrong, I love HTC - but after 18 months I think I fancy a change. :cool:

15. deanshep85

deanshep85 Android Expert
    None

Nov 22, 2010
    UK
    I dunno bout the dual core being the best or worst out of them im just saying that everyone has focused on the webtop part with the docks etc, when its come to the phone the reviews have been "its good but nothing special etc" least thats what ive seen like ive said. But then they are all like that, Sensation has 3D sense etc, Galaxy S2 is very fast with large amount of space etc

16. CdTDroiD

CdTDroiD Android Enthusiast
    None

HTC Sensation for the win ;) i had the s2 and didn't like it at all compared to the sensation I hve now. But both good phones sensation feels much better. Plus you get sense or the option to have it at least , battery heaps better 2

17. amg_1969

amg_1969 Well-Known Member
    None

Aug 15, 2010
    East Anglia

18. nolia

nolia Newbie
    None

Sep 20, 2010
    student
    Buckinghamshire, UK
    what was the main reason why u didn't like the S2? Is the battery better on the Sensation compared to Desire and S2 as well?

19. biffsmash

biffsmash Well-Known Member
    None

Sep 1, 2010
    I went for the Galaxy S 2 myself, and have to say it is an amazing phone.

The light feel hides a strong backbone as my phone has survived over ten drops and is only a slight scratch worse for wear!

The speaker is loud and clear, the screen is amazing, with black backgrounds literally disappearing into the phone, and the browsing is excellent.

It's super fast, and the battery lasts me a lot longer than the Desire.

As for the Sensation, I was impressed with the Desire HD when I had a play in Carphone Warehouse, so I imagine the Sensation will be good as well, although I worried about the signal death grip, dodgy LCD displays and dust under the screens, which is what steered me away from that phone.

The Atrix I hear is or at least was still on android 2.2, and is supposed to be a little laggy, the screen is also pentile from what I can tell so has the awful text jaggies that the AMOLED Desire has, so I didnt even consider this one.

Good luck with choice though, always kills me choosing new phones lol.

20. HYCAET

HYCAET Guest
    None
    I'm due to upgrade at the end of the month there's a couple of things bothering me.

A) the price of the phones! I paid 70quid for my desire and 20 per month over 18months. Seems that t-mobile will want a couple of hundred quid for me to upgrade and start another 18months contract.

And

B) I like to use the phone pad keyboard but it seems only HTC have this one their handsets.

Any advice from anyone on either a or b?

21. andyg1

andyg1 Newbie
    None

Dec 17, 2010
    Is that right? I use the "old school" number keypad with T9 predictive text instead of the qwerty configuration. So that is feature of HTC sense rather than of Android??? That would be a deal breaker for me - I am about to upgrade from an HTC Desire and was looking at the S2. But not if I don't get my beloved keyboard...

22. Hadron

Hadron  
    VIP Member

Aug 9, 2010
    Spacecorp Test Pilot
    Dimension Jumping
    There are 3rd party keyboards with this feature. Try some now, and if you find one you like just take it to whatever new handset you want.

23. nickkr

nickkr Well-Known Member
    None

Jul 4, 2010
    I

24. SUroot

SUroot Android Expert
    None

May 25, 2010
    UK Technical Lead; Desktop Support
    Riddlesden, West Yorkshire, UK
    It's not about how breakable it is. It's about how it creaks, how light it is and how the build quality is perceived. Especially after having a metal, heavy desire.

And if you appreciate the phone in certain aesthetic ways, no you don't put it in an ugly case. I prefer naked

25. nickkr

nickkr Well-Known Member
    None

Jul 4, 2010

It's a very old fashioned view to perceive weight as an indicator of quality, particularly for electronic devices.
    The fact the S2 weighs "nothing" is in my opinion a positive thing.

And I would take issue with calling the case I mentioned ugly ... I think the S2 in that case (particularly the dark grey one) not only looks great but rather unique.

personal choice I guess ;)

Tags: