• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Replacing iPhone with Desire

AppleSimon

Lurker
May 11, 2010
For the last 3 years I have been using an iPhone, and for some reason I decided that I wanted to delve into the Android scene. So after a few hours research I opted to take out a HTC Desire, and if I don't like it I can return it in 14 days.

The reason I chose to switch to Android is because of the thing I keep hearing, "more control than an iPhone". I have been playing with it all day and night, and I still can't understand where this is coming from? What can I do that gives me more "control"?

I am really liking the phone as a whole, the Widgets and Notifications being my favourites, as well as it seamlessly linking with my Facebook account.

It is a fast phone, but I was expecpting it to be much faster from all the hype. I find it just lags a little bit sometimes compared to my iPhone 3G. Although applications that are running in the background open very fast, like they should.

The Calender app isn't to good, compared to my iPhone it really isn't very good at all, and Google Calender is shocking in my opinion! This is an App I use frequently for my due in dates, but just find it abit fiddly to use.

I am impressed with the screen quality, thats pretty exceptional. The UI just doesn't quite cut it for me though. For example, when adding a Program to one of the Homescreens, on some of them the whole name doesn't fit, for example "beebPlayer" appears as "beebPlaye", and also the fact some program names don't start with a capital letter. I know they are stupid things but it just doesn't make it a good experience to me.

I have another 13 days with a chance to keep it, so please tell me some stuff to do on it, and make me want to keep it. I don't mind "Rooting" it if it will make the experience better.

One more thing, I have a MobileMe account from Apple, is there anyway to link this to my Desire, so contacts that are added backup to my account, and calender entries etc etc?

One more thing, I have a MobileMe account from Apple, is there anyway to link this to my Desire, so contacts that are added backup to my account, and calender entries etc etc?

Yes you use Google to store your data like MobileMe.

Or if you don't fancy storing all your stuff on Google / want to do it over HTTPS and you have access to your own mail server, like me, you can look into a technology called SyncML that does what you are talking about.

Upvote 0
The reason I chose to switch to Android is because of the thing I keep hearing, "more control than an iPhone". I have been playing with it all day and night, and I still can't understand where this is coming from? What can I do that gives me more "control"?

Compare Android to an unjailbroken iPhone: customization (wallpapers, home replacements, even different browsers), using the phone as a USB stick without needing iTunes, being able to install apps from SD card/from non-official sources.

The Calender app isn't to good, compared to my iPhone it really isn't very good at all, and Google Calender is shocking in my opinion! This is an App I use frequently for my due in dates, but just find it abit fiddly to use.

Learning curve/platform transition. Of course your initial knee-jerk reaction is to go "the iPhone does this, and this, and this better!" because you are used to the iPhone OS.

I am impressed with the screen quality, thats pretty exceptional. The UI just doesn't quite cut it for me though. For example, when adding a Program to one of the Homescreens, on some of them the whole name doesn't fit, for example "beebPlayer" appears as "beebPlaye", and also the fact some program names don't start with a capital letter. I know they are stupid things but it just doesn't make it a good experience to me.

You're nitpicking for the sake of it. Or you can just use BetterCut to rename each shortcut to whatever, and change the icon to whatever. Or use HelixLauncher and hide shortcut labels completely. Choices, choices.

I have another 13 days with a chance to keep it, so please tell me some stuff to do on it, and make me want to keep it. I don't mind "Rooting" it if it will make the experience better.

I'm confused why you think the experience is so shockingly horrendous that you would need to root it on day one.

What rooting does: allows you to modify system files and, basically, if you want to you can break the phone. Otherwise, it lets you install custom ROMs with features such as apps2sd (apps run from sdcard), optimized kernels (more access to memory, undervolted for longer battery life, overclocking, underclocking), tether (though also doable without root), theme, use the LED flash as a flashlight, and basically turn your phone into a very small but full-fledged Linux box. There's not much you can't do with a rooted Android phone.

Upvote 0
I too have made the switch from iPhone to Desire having had my iPhone 3G for just over two years. I really like the Desire, but (and I really hate to admit it - and would never admit it to my iPhone touting mates), I am starting to miss my iPhone just a little bit.
Can't really put my finger on it, but I do find the iPhone just more user-friendly.
The Desire is much faster, has loads more options and is far more customisable than an iPhone, and it would appear that with iPhone 4.0 software, the Apple option is finally coming into line with Android.
I will be keeping my Desire and hope that I can improve battery life and iron out the various niggles I have with it and will keep it for the full 18 months of the contract quite happily...but I'll still be a bit jealous of those who have the new iPhone in a couple of months.
That said, I pre-ordered an iPad yesterday, so I may well satisfy my Apple lust with that!!!

Upvote 0
It's easy to be user-friendly when:

- you can't do shit with the homescreens, which are all repetitive icon grids with a black background
- you can't do shit with anything else either. Don't like the look of the UI? Well **** you. Want to try out a browser that's not Safari? **** you too. Etc, etc.
- the phone runs one thing and one thing only at a time

I'm sure that when iPhone OS 4.0 implements multi-tasking and such, lots and lots of tech-illiterate, not-too-bright Apple users will be crying that their phones have suddenly become "harder" to use.

Upvote 0

What control do you want? I used to use a jailbroken Iphone 3GS and it's a luddite compared to the Desire

It is a fast phone, but I was expecpting it to be much faster from all the hype. I find it just lags a little bit sometimes compared to my iPhone 3G. Although applications that are running in the background open very fast, like they should.

I'm assuming you've actually got an Iphone 3GS not a 3G otherwise I'd have to laugh at that last comment. However if you have an iphone 3GS then being a former owner I've never really noticed lag being an issue.

I agree with you here. Although my favourite calendar/PIM, Pocket Informant are in development for an android version. The other thing which I love about this is that it will have access to the calendar database which means it doesn't need to have interface tools to get round the Apple lock out of the calendar API.

The rate of development of Android to catch up with and in ways surpass Apple Os has been incredible when you consider how far back they started from Apple. As the rate of development slows I think you will find that the focus on development will be to polish an already brilliant OS and to make the app store more professional.

As a former 3GS owner (did you know that :D) there is not really anything I can't do on my Android that I could do on my iphone. Plus I have more control of the OS and can chose what I want on my screens and how they look. Ultimately if you have been bitten by the Apple bug then you will find it difficult to make the transition. Maybe wait till later on in the year when HTC bring out a successor to the HD2 on the Android platform.

One more thing, I have a MobileMe account from Apple, is there anyway to link this to my Desire, so contacts that are added backup to my account, and calender entries etc etc?[/QUOTE]

Upvote 0
More control:

• You can delete every single shortcut on your homescreen if you want. You don't have to keep things you don't want, like stocks.
  • You can remove applications from the phone altogether, not just their shortcuts, so you can actually get rid of stocks or google talk, for example.
  • The apps in the Android Market have a lot more freedom in what they can do. Android has true background support, and it's not limited to 7 APIs like the upcoming half-assed Apple implementation. Apps can add things to your phone menus, your lock screen, completely change the look of your phone, add extra functionality to your keyboard, etc etc. And if a particular app doesn't make it into the Android Market, you can install it using a direct link :) Look at "handcent," which is an app that completely replaces the built in SMS client on Android phones. You don't get that kind of flexibility on the iPhone.
  • You can mount your phone as a disk and put whatever you want on it - music, images, documents, etc.
  • You can view flash content in your browser. If you don't want Flash - you can turn it off or uninstall it.
  • You can set a wallpaper on your phone.

In general the phone is just a lot less restricted. You don't have HTC or Google breathing down your neck telling you what you can and can't do. For example; you cannot send songs using Bluetooth on the iPhone (doing so would probably lose Apple music sales), but it's not a problem on the Desire.

The iPhone is a walled garden. It's very simple to use, but only because it's so restricted and Apple controls almost everything about it. They can make sure you have a very seamless, simple experience because they control the experience.

Android is a wide, open field. It's sometimes a little more difficult to find your way around because it's so flexible in what you can do with it. Your experiences with Android will not always be uniform because Smartphone manufacturers can put their own UI over the top of it, which means the look and feel can differ wildly from smartphone to smartphone. But once you've gotten used to the Android OS, you can really make a phone your own.

Reactions: Abdur
Upvote 0
Well said mattttye :)

Too many iphone users are finding the transition daunting, imo thats because the desire and android give them too much choice andjust dont know how to get the best from their new SUPERIOR device.

Apple have got a lot to be thanked for because they have pushed the smartphone to another level but at the same time they have dumbdowned the experience. All some people seem to think now is about what apps they can download not about the superior hardware and endless choice that android makes available.

I have had both the 3g and the 3gs and imo the desire and android are head and shoulders above apples alternative. I want to be free not governed by Jobs and his one man mission to control everything.

Just because somethings not as easy doesn't make it a bad thing, if you want easy and dont mind being told what to do then choose apple, if you want freedom, choice and the ability to make YOUR phone your own then android is the phone to choose.

The android market is growing rapidly and if you dont want to root your phone you dont have to ( choice, remember that word Jobs ). When apps2sd comes a reality then you will find nearly all the iphone apps that you are used too will become a reality as all the developers make the switch.

I loved my iphone, BUT my desire is WAY BETTER :)

Upvote 0
Being a massive Apple fanboy, I must admit there have been times when I have used the phone today and just wished it was my iPhone and not the Desire...

BUT, as the day has gone on, I have really enjoyed using it and finding it quite nice to use. When I have got bored of a screen I can easily customise a new one, and the Widgets is very good.

I am not to fond of the Market, maybe it's just because I am used to the App Store, I am sure I will get used to it though.

What are the "must have" apps from the Market?

The phone will be going back, but when my upgrade does come in June, this will be a serious contender for the upgrade. Slowly but steadily I am getting more and more into the Android way.

Upvote 0
Being a massive Apple fanboy, I must admit there have been times when I have used the phone today and just wished it was my iPhone and not the Desire...

BUT, as the day has gone on, I have really enjoyed using it and finding it quite nice to use. When I have got bored of a screen I can easily customise a new one, and the Widgets is very good.

I am not to fond of the Market, maybe it's just because I am used to the App Store, I am sure I will get used to it though.

What are the "must have" apps from the Market?

The phone will be going back, but when my upgrade does come in June, this will be a serious contender for the upgrade. Slowly but steadily I am getting more and more into the Android way.

If you like the Apple way then stick with Apple. Different people have different tastes, Android isn't for everyone :) I've always been a bit of a tech geek so I can quite easily pick up a new smartphone and become proficient at using it in about an hour, so the transition from an iPhone to Nokia 5800 and then to HTC Desire wasn't a problem for me.

The Android Market seems to have most of the same apps as the App Store... some popular ones are Spotify, Shazam, Layar, National Rail, Google Goggles, Handcent (SMS app), pkt Auctions eBay.. and many more.

Upvote 0
Don't underestimate the phone/Android. I also have an iPhone and once you go back to it after using a Desire for a while you'll find the appeal has diminished.

The screen for one is a big step down on the iPhone.

The Android market isn't as good as the Apple App store, in fact it's a good bit behind but it's getting there.

While the iPhone is slick and simple I found the way it's so closed started to grate.

Upvote 0
Im the least most technical person in this forum I bet and I find the HTC and android an absolute pleasure to use. I cant keep my hands off the phone, I cant stop looking at it, turning it on just to see 'todays' new wallpaper that I programmed all by myself. I love The Market, looking at the weather, using my handcent SMS that I downloaded myself, changing the font size and the background colours, the sender is in italics. Checking my facebook page, synching the calendars

The bottom line for me is this phone is so simple and friendly to use its an absolute pleasure to own. I sometimes invent little problems, Im thinking about how I will send a message to many people, it'll come to me sometime later, Ill have a play around and think about things, it can be done that Im sure just a matter of thinking a bit. And the great things the support and help in the forums, dead helpful guys willing to share info

Now Im not saying apple isnt any different, I have never had one so I don't know how good they are but friends have them and they don't look or feel as good as mine

I like the HTC brand better than apple too, I dont know why its nothing personal

If I were to loses my Desire tomorrow I would go get another. If HTC were no longer available I would get an apple

Upvote 0
Now this isn't direct at all iPhone users but,

One thing I have noticed coming from iPhone 2G, 3G and 3GS to the Desire I have noticed that the two camps (iPhone and Android Users) are completely different.

Android users are smartphone users who like to know how everything thing works and like to get under the hood where as the majority of iPhone users don't really care how it works as long as it does when they press the icon. As long as they can say "Oh mine has retina display, blah blah blah......." then they are happy, the exception being the Jailbreakers.

Also I notice a big difference in the forums. iPhone forms have a lot of back biting and bitching in them, where as Android ones (this one in particular) is full of members who are here to help.

That said there is a place for the iPhone, but if you want to be able to have YOUR phone that you PAID FOR they way YOU WANT IT then it has to be ANDROID all day long, not a device controlled by a turtle neck wearing control freak.

Can you imagine how boring the 'Show us your homescreen' thread would be on an Apple forum. "Nice Dude, I see you have moved App Store to the other side of Calendar.........Cool" :D:D:D

Reactions: EmsLdn
Upvote 0
I have the htc calendar and a app that automatically reads all my appointments out allowed five minutes before they are due. Can't think of a better way than that for me, don't even need to take phone out of pocket.

Works with Svox voices to, so I don't sound like Steven Hawkins either.

Automatic text reflow on internet is a dream. SlideIT keyboard amazing. Flash on internet, cool.

Voice search great.

No itunes the best.

Only one gripe I have, desire does not have voice tag to increase accuracy when voice dialling - that's a shame for UK accent.

Six months owned and I still use it lots daily :)

Give it some time and im sure you will see its advantages.

Reactions: EmsLdn
Upvote 0
I have the htc calendar and a app that automatically reads all my appointments out allowed five minutes before they are due. Can't think of a better way than that for me, don't even need to take phone out of pocket.

Works with Svox voices to, so I don't sound like Steven Hawkins either.

Please can you tell me the name of the app for speaking out the appointments??

Thanks pete :)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones