• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Replacing microSD card

somanyapps

May 27, 2011
VA
I'd like to replace the 2GB card with a larger one. I've looked at the docs and to physically change cards is straight forward enough. You have to unmount the card first, but it also notes you need to disable USB storage. Not quite sure what they mean. It sounds like it is assuming you've got it connected to a computer. Also, I copied files from the original card and plan to copy them back. Is that it? Does the card need to be formatted first?

When I connected the phone to the computer to copy files it gave me 3 options. Don't remember the exact wording, but one was Kies, and another was something like USB mass storage. I selected the mass storage option because I wanted to access the card like any other storage device on the computer, and it worked fine. Is that the correct way for connecting to the computer? Don't really know what Kies is, and off the top of my head I don't remember the second option.

Does anything get put on the card by the OS, or apps, by default? In other words, is it only stuff I put there? Thanks.

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones