1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Root Replacing Stock SMS

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by MusicJunkie, Jan 10, 2012.

1. MusicJunkie

MusicJunkie Android Expert
    None

Aug 7, 2011
    Male
    North Carolina
    I know there are 3rd party apps that can replace the stock SMS app (Handcent, ChompSMS, GoSMS Pro, Pansi, Google Voice even) but I was wondering if I were to strip a stock SMS app from another rom, could I install it (through terminal editor or Root Explorer) and replace the current stock SMS app on that rom?

To be more specific, I was using FreshEVO and believe it not I started to like the stock SMS app again. I'm currently using MikG v3.0 (went back to it now that I'm in a good signal area and it's the stock kernel) and that has the stock sense 2.1 sms version I believe. If I got the sms apk from the FreshEvo rom and put it on MikG would it work? I have a nandroid of both roms on my phone.

Advertisement

2. Granite1

Granite1 Zercron Encrusted Tweezer
    None

Dec 27, 2010
    Male
    Highway Construction Inspection
    Pittsburgh, PA
    I don't think it'll work. You can nandroid and give it a try, but I think it'll throw out some fc's.
    MikG was changed from stock 2.3.3, so the file associations might not line up. Sense 2.1 versus sense 1.0.

MusicJunkie likes this.
  3. MusicJunkie

None

Aug 7, 2011
    Male
    North Carolina
    Thank you. With that being said I'm reluctant to try it, lol

4. MusicJunkie

None

Aug 7, 2011
    Male
    North Carolina
    Also, would it be titled "MMS.apk" or something else?

5. Xtremedays

Xtremedays Android Expert
    None

Apr 5, 2010
    Male
    Auto Technician(for now)
    It may be possible to get it to work BUT........it will take more time and effort than it would be worth in my opinion. The Mms apk is in the system folder and requires the odex file that is with it to run unless you install it(which would not be replacing the original). To have a chance at making it work properly, you would have to make an odex file for the Mms apk then push them both to the system folder and see if it worked. I guess it depends on how far into theming/modding you want to go because that is basically what you would be getting into.

6. MusicJunkie

None

Aug 7, 2011
    Male
    North Carolina
    I had no idea that was considered themeing. I saw a YouTube clip of a guy replacing his camera with a newer version. All he did was take the newer file, move it to system folder (in Root Explorer with R/W enabled) and it installed itself. That's what I was planning on doing. But before I did that I wanted to know if it was not just MMS.apk and .odex or if it was HtcMessageProvider.apk and .odex and HtcMessageUploader.apk and .odex. As you can see I'm pretty green on some of these things, lol

7. Xtremedays

None

Apr 5, 2010
    Male
    Auto Technician(for now)
    Mms.apk and Mms.odex are likely the ones you want. They are the ones that you use when you access your messages on your phone. Let us know if and how it works. Make sure to nandroid first or have the original apk and odex files available to push to the phone to fix it if it doesn't work.

It is sort of a mix of theming and modding. More modding I guess though but similar edits and changes.

8. MusicJunkie

None

Aug 7, 2011
    Male
    North Carolina
    I will as soon as I can find the .odex file from the FreshEVO rom. MikMik was smart when he put them both together, visibly, in his rom package so I can just open the .zip on my PC and clearly see both. Whoever packaged Fresh only has the .apk of MMS.apk, but I won't give up and I will report back after my experiment.

9. Xtremedays

None

Apr 5, 2010
    Male
    Auto Technician(for now)
    Fresh may be a deodex rom which means that the info for the odex file will be included in the apk itself. It will be called classes.dex. If you pull the apk and use 7zip to view it you will be able to see the folders in it.

MusicJunkie likes this.
  10. MusicJunkie

None

Aug 7, 2011
    Male
    North Carolina
    Thank you. Since FreshEvo is using the Sense 1.0 messaging app I just went to the stock ROM system/app folder and pulled the ones from there because they show both the .apk and .odex files. I was trying to do something different and I've basically wasted about an hour or more and all I had to do was that. I'm about to test my theory out now.

11. MusicJunkie

None

Aug 7, 2011
    Male
    North Carolina
    Okay, so I didn't push the .apk or .odex through terminal editor but I did the method that I mentioned in post #1. Didn't work. It deleted the app as a whole from my phone and even after a restart the app was gone -______- Currently restoring the nandroid I had made prior to trying this experiment. Maybe if I pushed the app via terminal editor then it would've worked however, I forgot how to do that, lol.

12. Xtremedays

None

Apr 5, 2010
    Male
    Auto Technician(for now)
    Do you have ADB installed on your PC? You can use that to push the files to the right folder and restart your phone. If you do, I can give you the commands to do it.

13. MusicJunkie

None

Aug 7, 2011
    Male
    North Carolina
    No, I don't even know what ADB is, lol. I'll try almost anything, lol thank you

14. Xtremedays

None

Apr 5, 2010
    Male
    Auto Technician(for now)
    Here is a starting point for you.
    [GUIDE] ADB Workshop and Guide for everyone - xda-developers

That will give you instructions to get SDK downloaded and installed though you will likely only ever use the ADB portion of it. It tells you how to change your environment variables to allow you to use it in a command prompt in any folder on your pc. Once you have that installed, I can walk you through pushing the files to your phone.

ADB stands for Android Debugging Bridge. It allows us to do certain things to our phones while connected via usb cable including pulling files from our phones, and pushing them to test or replace problem files. You will see once you do some reading and looking around.

Granite1 likes this.
Tags: