• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Replacing system launcher with Go Launcher EX?

NeoDraven

Feb 24, 2012
I had four quick issues that I wanted to ask for help on.

I'd like to get rid of the old launcher pretty much entirely. Go Launcher EX is a billion times better. Can anyone explain how to do so without breaking my phone? I am using Home Manager at the moment, and it works well enough, but I'd like to never have to mess with it again, and to make Go Launcher EX, with my current theme, to be the system's stock app for launching anything.

Also, I have done everything I can possibly think of to remove the UNO demo. Nothing works. Titanium Backup Pro, none of the file explorers, none of the uninstaller programs, nothing. The best I can do is to just freeze it, but I don't want it on there at all.

The third issue is that I would like to make Better Keyboard my standard input method. Right now, I have to enable and select it every single time I reboot my phone. Is there a way to set set it as the default?

Finally, a few games that SHOULD run fine on my phone, don't, like Let's Golf 2 and 3, or most Gameloft games. Is there a way to get them to run properly?

I appreciate any and all assistance.

Are you rooted? You have to root to get rid of stock apps like the Launcher and Unodemo. (forum link for root instructions)

Once rooted, I created a backup folder on my SDCard and moved many of the recommended files to remove in this link from Anthony. I didn't get rid of the launcher though (using Go Launcher EX also). You should be getting a pop up when hitting the home button that asks which launcher and there will be a "use as default" check box. But, every time Go Launcher EX updates, it kicks the default status off which drives me bonkers.

I moved pretty much all of the apps that Anthony listed in his post to a backup folder on SD. I still have them so if I want to unroot, I can move them back to the internal memory.

Reactions: NeoDraven
Upvote 0
It works perfectly. All you need is ES File Explorer and a rooted phone. You can delete the Launcher.apk and Launcher.odex files in /system, and just put the con.gau.go.launcherex-1.apk from /data/app/ in the same folder you deleted the stock launcher from, then reboot. I have the most updated version of Go Launcher EX, and it only takes up 2.39MB of my phone's system memory.

Reactions: TraceP38 and extend
Upvote 0
It works perfectly. All you need is ES File Explorer and a rooted phone. You can delete the Launcher.apk and Launcher.odex files in /system, and just put the con.gau.go.launcherex-1.apk from /data/app/ in the same folder you deleted the stock launcher from, then reboot. I have the most updated version of Go Launcher EX, and it only takes up 2.39MB of my phone's system memory.

Thanks, man. I'm doing it now. I used Link2SD to convert it to system app. I'm gonna keep my stock launcher as of now.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones