1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Replacing Updated Apps - does it remove preloaded ones?

Discussion in 'Android Apps & Games' started by DaveSyd, Aug 27, 2011.

1. DaveSyd

DaveSyd Android Enthusiast
    None

Jul 19, 2011
    Australia
    Hi there, today I seem to be the one with questions...

I have a SGS2 and like all others it has preloaded apps, for example Google Maps. When an update appears on the market and I download it, what happens to the built in version in the hidden ROM somewhere when you download a new version? Is it replaced by the downloaded one in the back of the phone memory - because I do not see 2 applications for Google Maps in ROM & RAM (for want of a better description). Is it worth updating these eg. FlashPlayer from 10.1 to 10.3

PS. I am not for asking advice on rooting, custom ROMs etc because I do not wish to void my warranty. Thx

Advertisement

2. UncleMike

UncleMike Android Expert
    None

Nov 15, 2009
    Central NJ
    Pre-installed apps are typically installed in the /system/app folder - and cannot be removed by the user without rooting. Updates to these apps are installed in the /data/app folder - where all user apps are installed. So when you update a pre-installed app you end up with two copies of the app installed, but only the update is visible, even though the original version that came with your phone continues to occupy space in the /system/app folder.

When you want to remove a user-installed app, you'll have the option to do so. But when you want to remove a pre-installed app that has been updated, you'll only be able to remove the updates - reverting back to the original version of the app as it came on your phone.

DaveSyd likes this.