1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Root Replacment EVO 4G

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by skydiverscott, Jun 16, 2011.

1. skydiverscott

skydiverscott Lurker
    None

Jun 6, 2011
    So my original HTC EVO 4g has a failed USB connector and I have received the new EVO from Sprint. I have been swapping batteries for the last two weeks while I try to plan the migration to the new phone.

My original EVO is running the Android 2.2/Kernel version 2.6.32.17-gee557fdhtc-kernel@and18-2 #15 Software version 3.70.651.1.

I have rooted this phone with unrevoked. I am using Titanium backup to save all the settings of all my apps and the system apps. I would like to be able to be able to restore all the user apps and system settings/apps, call history, sms texts, etc. on the new EVO 4G I recieved.

The new EVO is running the exact same android version/kernel version and software verision.

I would like to know the most logical steps to do a complete transfer of all the settings from one phone to the other.

I original plan is to:
    1. Install my SIM card from the original phone into the new phone
    2. Root the new phone
    3. Restore all apps and settings from Titanium
    4. Call sprint and have them activate the new phone

I welcome comments in regards to any details of the steps I have outlined, especially any details on how to restore data from the system apps like phone history, SMS texts, etc. I would like to know if the settings like WiFI networks will be remembered, the HTC sense settings, etc. The reason I rooted the phone in the first place was that I recently had to setup one of our users with a replacment Evo Shift 3 weeks after getting it due to her breaking the screen and it seemed really lame that the settings couldn't be backed up.

Since the USB port is dead on the old phone, what is the best way to wipe the phone? I am assuming there is no way to restore to a factory fresh wiped rom image. If there is please enlighten me on where to find the steps on how to do it without a USB connection.

Advertisement

2. ocnbrze

ocnbrze DON'T PANIC!!!!!!!!!
    None

May 13, 2010
    Male
    being a flashaholic sponsor, helping others gettin
    los angeles
    you can transfer the sd card with no problem. not sure if the system apps will work on the new phone or not. just make sure to make a nandroid backup before trying it. your previous nandroids will not work with the new phone. other then that your initial plan is solid.

you can still unroot your phone so long as you have a recovery on it. you can get the files onto your sd card by either a card reader or downloading them to your phone. the files should be found in the download file. once they are on the root of your card you can unroot using the http://androidforums.com/evo-4g-all-things-root/194918-rooting-dummies.html guide in the unrooting section.

3. skydiverscott

skydiverscott Lurker
    None

Jun 6, 2011
    Thanks for details. When you say
    Are you referring to making the nandroid backup on the new phone before restoring from Titanium?

Thanks for the unrooting tip.

As an aside, the new refurb phone has the same damn problem as the one I am trying to get fixed, the USB port will not charge or connect. Does anyone know if restoring the system app settings from one phone to another will work if both phones are on the same versions of all software?

4. ocnbrze

ocnbrze DON'T PANIC!!!!!!!!!
    None

May 13, 2010
    Male
    being a flashaholic sponsor, helping others gettin
    los angeles
    with titanium backup restoring system data could create problems with your current rom so be careful when doing that. anytime you make changes i always do a nandroid backup just in case.

and as far system apps go. depends on the app and what rom you are on. it may work on dofferent phones but i'm not sure.

Tags: