• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Request for thoughts, prayers, and donations

NightAngel79

Mandalorian
Administrator
May 11, 2010
Northern Ky
Hey everyone, I post this not as a Moderator, but as a fellow AndroidForums member.

2 months ago my son was in a car wreck that left him paralyzed from the neck down. This happened 2 days before his 22nd birthday.

We created a page for him at a great fundraiser site called GiveForward where people can leave 'hugs' and donations. I do not like just holding my hand out to people but the reality of the situation compels me to be humble. First DR bill just cam in. If you want a laugh, check this out
hosbill.PNG
We are trying to get Gary (my step-son) home for Christmas, the biggest obstacle is a wheelchair accessible vehicle, which apparently we can't get for under 25,000 dollars. Any help with the best agencies to contact, or personal contacts would help as well.

We are trying to sell our house so that we can get a space big enough to be handicap accessible as well. We do have contractors starting to remodel our house today. They are doing the renovations for free, which is huge for us...

Link to GiveForward site: https://www.giveforward.com/fundraiser/w3d3/gary-chestnut-fund
Any stories, motivational comments, etc would be great. Donations are also gladly accepted.

Also created a facebook page to help spread news and organize support and fundraisers. https://www.facebook.com/pages/Gary-Chestnut-Benefit/460039724104492

Donations can also be mailed to any Bank of Kentucky.
Checks payable to: Gary Chestnut Benefit account
The Bank of Kentucky
111 Lookout Farm Dr
Crestview Hills, KY

Thank you everyone

This is terrible. Well, you and your son will be in my prayers and I'll do whatever I can to help. I "liked" your Facebook page and I'm going to send invites to everyone I know.

That is more than I could hope for, thank you so much

This is so tragic. :(

I've made a donation. I hope you're able to get the things Gary will need, and it's really awesome that you have contractors helping out for free. What goes around comes around. :)

Yea, that's a huge burden lifted. Not looking forward to them tearing my house apart for the next 3 weeks though.

Everyone in RL and on the Internet has been so supportive. Most times I feel incredibly blessed, all things considered

Upvote 0
I'm so sorry this happened to you and your family....it must be very hard emotionally physically mentally spiritually

sending positive thoughts your way..

you could apply for a grant although I already looked a little and Kentucky unfortunately does not have many charitable venues...except for some very low interest loans on conversion vehicles...

however...nationally might be some options...
you can rent an accessible vehicle ...if not only just to get him home for christmas...might do you all some good?

Reactions: NightAngel79
Upvote 0
NA, have you ever seen those rooftop things that look like luggage boxes. I've seen those that are actually automatic wheelchair devices. Once activated, the side opens and it lowers and opens a wheelchair in front of the door of the vehicle. It may be less expensive than a whole new vehicle, maybe a short term solution.:dontknow:

Upvote 0
I'm so sorry this happened to you and your family....it must be very hard emotionally physically mentally spiritually

sending positive thoughts your way..

you could apply for a grant although I already looked a little and Kentucky unfortunately does not have many charitable venues...except for some very low interest loans on conversion vehicles...

however...nationally might be some options...
you can rent an accessible vehicle ...if not only just to get him home for christmas...might do you all some good?

low interest rates better than nothing. Tried to look into grants and such, stuff is confusing as hell

NA, have you ever seen those rooftop things that look like luggage boxes. I've seen those that are actually automatic wheelchair devices. Once activated, the side opens and it lowers and opens a wheelchair in front of the door of the vehicle. It may be less expensive than a whole new vehicle, maybe a short term solution.:dontknow:

Not familiar with that. Wonder how much that costs.

Mobility dealers I've talked to have been less than helpful. They all want me to buy a brand new converted van for 25k

Upvote 0
NightAngel, my thoughts and prayers do go out to Gary, you and your family. Not sure about how to donate though, because I'm in China and only have UnionPay at the moment.

Mobility dealers I've talked to have been less than helpful. They all want me to buy a brand new converted van for 25k

I've known people that have disability converted vehicles in the UK. They're a significant investment and often custom adapted, and so they tend to keep them for a long time, at least until their needs change or the vehicle is no longer roadworthy. Not like an ordinary vehicle, where one might trade it in every year or so.

Upvote 0
low interest rates better than nothing. Tried to look into grants and such, stuff is confusing as hell

Not familiar with that. Wonder how much that costs.

they are salesmen...after all...:)

these are extremely low interest rates...I want to say 0.5?
0.3 could be even lower now...
but I would not go that route!!!
if you havent already...i'd look into converting an existing used van..Chrystler Towne and Country ...2010 model on up..there are programs for converting them.....

Upvote 0
This thread should be a Sticky! I've been praying that the Lord would heal your son. Seeing him lying there in that bed reminded me of the following verses from the Bible, where Jesus heals a man who had been paralyzed for some time.

"Which is easier, to say to the
paralytic, 'Your sins are forgiven you,' or to
say, 'Arise, take up your bed and walk'?
But that you may know that the Son
of Man has power on earth to forgive
sins"—He said to the paralytic,
"I say to you, arise, take up your bed,
and go to your house."
Immediately he arose, took up the
bed, and went out in the presence of them
all, so that all were amazed and glorified
God, saying, "We never saw anything like
this!"

- (Mark 2:9-12)

I pray He will do the same for your son, and that he will arise and walk again, in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, to the glory of God the Father.

Amen.

Upvote 0
they are salesmen...after all...:)

these are extremely low interest rates...I want to say 0.5?
0.3 could be even lower now...
but I would not go that route!!!
if you havent already...i'd look into converting an existing used van..Chrystler Towne and Country ...2010 model on up..there are programs for converting them.....
Everything I have seen says it is around 19k for a 'new' conversion, and it takes 5 weeks. I need a better line of state/gov funded resources. Todays Fundraiser has been my only focus past few days though.

So far the Fundraiser has been a huge success (it seems). Ran into a member of AndroidForums there, our very own Digital Controller. Great meeting you!!

This thread should be a Sticky! I've been praying that the Lord would heal your son. Seeing him lying there in that bed reminded me of the following verses from the Bible, where Jesus heals a man who had been paralyzed for some time.

"Which is easier, to say to the
paralytic, 'Your sins are forgiven you,' or to
say, 'Arise, take up your bed and walk'?
But that you may know that the Son
of Man has power on earth to forgive
sins"—He said to the paralytic,
"I say to you, arise, take up your bed,
and go to your house."
Immediately he arose, took up the
bed, and went out in the presence of them
all, so that all were amazed and glorified
God, saying, "We never saw anything like
this!"

- (Mark 2:9-12)

I pray He will do the same for your son, and that he will arise and walk again, in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, to the glory of God the Father.

Amen.

A sticky? I like the way you think! LOL

That's a very good verse. I love seeing things like that. I've never been overly religious but it is hard to deny that everyday there are varying degrees of miracles.

Upvote 0
Mike I am really sorry my friend - you are so strong.

You have such strength.

You are an amazing guy NightAngel... I admire you.

Such strength, such courage and always persevering every step of the way.

What a wonderful bunch of things you have started and all in the name of love.

This is 1 hell of an awesome thread by 1 hell of an awesome guy because of how hard you working to help out such a sad situation...

I am sorry for what is happened... I really don't know what to say here.

You must be seriously struggling.... I would not be at all surprised. I would not be surprised. I know you have got so much strength it is awesome. :)

My care and positive energy is for you.

My greatest secret and trick in life is I imagine something.

Something positive.

And over time... it comes... this wonderful positive image comes... it just takes a little bit of time. :)

I have this wonderful image of your son walking again.

It is a beautiful image.

I am a staunch believer in God.

And God heals us all.

In this extremely difficult time I have you and your family in my thoughts.

I hope I some how made it better Mike. :)

Because I know you made mine 1 hell of a lot better by being a great friend of mine.

You are a great guy bud. :)

Take care bud.

Regards

Wayne

Upvote 0
Mike I am really sorry my friend - you are so strong.

You have such strength.

You are an amazing guy NightAngel... I admire you.

Such strength, such courage and always persevering every step of the way.

What a wonderful bunch of things you have started and all in the name of love.

This is 1 hell of an awesome thread by 1 hell of an awesome guy because of how hard you working to help out such a sad situation...

I am sorry for what is happened... I really don't know what to say here.

You must be seriously struggling.... I would not be at all surprised. I would not be surprised. I know you have got so much strength it is awesome. :)

My care and positive energy is for you.

My greatest secret and trick in life is I imagine something.

Something positive.

And over time... it comes... this wonderful positive image comes... it just takes a little bit of time. :)

I have this wonderful image of your son walking again.

It is a beautiful image.

I am a staunch believer in God.

And God heals us all.

In this extremely difficult time I have you and your family in my thoughts.

I hope I some how made it better Mike. :)

Because I know you made mine 1 hell of a lot better by being a great friend of mine.

You are a great guy bud. :)

Take care bud.

Regards

Wayne

Wayne, Thank you so much for such a great post.

I just have one question, who the heck is Mike?

:D

Reactions: Member243850
Upvote 0
Wayne, Thank you so much for such a great post.

I just have one question, who the heck is Mike?

:D

HAHAHA

Don't be shitting me!!!! :D:D:D:D

Are you SERIOUS? :eek: :D:D:D:D

FAIL!!!!!

xD

NO WAY!!! :D

Isn't your name Mike? :D

xD

hahahahahaa!!!

Is your name not Mike hahaha

xD

lol man :D

I gotta go listen to this song because beause I am such a MORON :):):)

I was gonna remember your name but then I got high!

xD

Upvote 0
LOL....I do that sometimes. Last night I called my friend's wife Lori, when her name is actually Rhonda. I said she looks like a Lori. He said great, now she's gonna wonder who Lori is, lol.

HAHAHA

xD

Oh my UNHOLY HAMBURGER dude you got me solid!

:D:D:D

Hehehee! :D

At work (play more like it! :-D) there are FOUR kids and their SIMILAR names all sound like this with a "K" that they ALL start with! (except 1 starts with a T but may as well be the same hahaha! xD)

:-D

KACEY
KELLY
KELSEY
TRACEY...

And as SURE as the Sun rises in the morning I ALWAYS mix their names up like a Souffl

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones