• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

REQUEST - Video Recorder Only - No Audio (prevent arrest under eavesdropping in chicago)

If living in a state with eavesdropping laws would you record an officer with

• Audio and Video. If I get busted, at least there will be a hefty lawsuit involved!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Video Only, someone needs to see this, but I'm not going to jail.

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • Nothing, what can you do. They'll just do it to me next.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

candytripn

Lurker
Aug 21, 2010
So this is a strange one, but haven't found anything close yet (correct me if I'm wrong)

I would love an app that can record only video, with absolutely no setting or method for capturing audio... and here's why.

Under Illinois State Law, you can be charged with a felony for recording audio of a police officer without is explicit consent. This law has been used to charge several in Chicago with a felony, for simply using their phones to record the interaction, either with themselves and the police, or the police and bystanders.

I myself and fighting several charges from the CPD with a pending suit of brutality. The scary part is, technically the state can use this law against me now ( see ACLU: Eavesdropping Law Violates 1st Amendment - cbs2chicago.com ) to see what I'm talking about.

Now, while video only is not as good at catching a crooked cop as video and audio, the video of my arrest proves the police were lying about any alleged assaults, and has very strong evidence of police brutality.

Having an app that could be used to record an officer without violating this law, would put any arresting officers in a very actionable position, so I look to the community.

If you are a developer who could do this, please do... or maybe just remove the audio function from an existing camcorder app, or something along those lines.

which camera app are you using? There's no place in mine to turn off the audio.

I'm using a G1 running Cyanogenmod CM6 RC3, only options are for video size, video balancing and color effects, no where that I can find a mute, I'll check around for a couple apps to see if they offer it, but if yours does that, and you can clue me in to which one it is I'd be grateful!

Upvote 0
which camera app are you using? There's no place in mine to turn off the audio.

I'm using a G1 running Cyanogenmod CM6 RC3, only options are for video size, video balancing and color effects, no where that I can find a mute, I'll check around for a couple apps to see if they offer it, but if yours does that, and you can clue me in to which one it is I'd be grateful!

I'm just using the stock camcorder on my Droid X 2.1.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones