• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Requesting advice on possibly purchasing Android phone for AT&T cell plan?

coscom

Aug 12, 2009
Hi, I am completely new to this forum and haven't yet had the pleasure of using Android yet so so I appologize if I am asking the following questions in the wrong place.

Anyways, I am a long time Windows Mobile user (have an 8525 and before that an 8125) who is looking at possibly getting a Rogers version of the G1 (I am on my company's cell plan with AT&T so switching cell companies isn't an option and I'd heard that the Rogers version is compatible with AT&T's 3G network). So my first question is, is the Rogers version completely compatible? Will it work on AT&T's network, both Edge and 3G?

I also want to know if the G1 will meet my smartphone needs? I personally want a phone that has a larger screen than the 2.8" one on my 8525, has a physical keyboard, is able to browse the web and remotely control PC's though logmein, is able to check my POP3 email (while leaving it on the server) and receive and read my text messages, and on which I can also read ebooks (txt's, rtf's, doc's, lit's, pdf's, etc). Less importantly I would like to be able to listen to mp3's on headphones and play bejewelled/popit style games. Would the G1 meet these needs? Are there any other Android phones that would meet these needs?

Thanks in advance for any information and advice. I am hoping that something in the android world will be what I am looking for as I am sick of waiting for the Tilt 2 to come out and every other phone I've looked into has either been a downgrade in one way or another or is so bug and defect ridden that their forums have scared me away from buying the phone.

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones