1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support Reset Nexus 7 (2012) to out of box status?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by spinecho, Dec 28, 2013.

1. spinecho

spinecho Newbie
    None

Sep 11, 2012
    Hi,

I'm running KitKat 4.4.2 (Build KOT49H) and have Wug's Nexus Root Toolkit v1.8.0 installed on my PC. The nexus is stock and un-rooted

I feel the Nexus has become a bit sluggish as i have continuously installed and un-installed apps, so I wish to set the Nexus back to it's out of the box settings and root it. I'm happy to keep stock build (i.e. I don't want a custom rom).

I see I can do this with Wug's toolkit, but have a few questions:

• Will setting the Nexus back to factory settings also put me back to original build - JellyBean, or will it stay on KitKat build KOT49H?

• Can I "downgrade" my build back to original JB? If so, would it be better to do so and then upgrade to KitKat, or just "Factory Reset" to KitKat - if you follow my meaning?

• I know that I will lose all data on the Nexus - I've backed up photos/files etc, and I'm really not bothered about saved game info on Nexus, but does Google Play keep a record of the apps I've downloaded so I can re-install those I want?

• Last question (promise!) if it is possible to downgrade to JB and I choose to do so, will the apps work with old builds (are they backwards compatible) - I've had this problem with iTouch, new upgraded apps no longer work on my old 2nd gen!!!!

Thanks and apologies for stupid questions!!!

Advertisement

2. argedion

argedion The TechnoFrog
    None

Jun 20, 2011
    The Infernal Swamp
    1. A factory reset is only wiping out /data, /cache, and dalvic. A factory reset does not mess with the /system partition so if you currently are running Kit Kat then that is what you will have after a factory reset.

2. Once you are rooted you can flash any custom Rom you wish rather it be a JB build or a KK build. However I think it a waste of time to downgrade just to turn around and upgrade.

3.Yes Google play does keep a record of the apps you have installed.

4.Apps are finicky while they should run some may not. It will be hit and miss with your apps. I would think that most apps will still support JB though.

Lastly there are no stupid questions. The only questions that are stupid are ones that are never asked. So always feel free to ask a question no matter how dumb it may seem to be.

3. spinecho

spinecho Newbie
    None

Sep 11, 2012
    argedion, many thanks for the fast and informative reply!

I'm happy now to factory reset my Nexus 7 (with unroot) and keep current build.

Another question, though. What's dalvic?

Thanks again.

4. argedion

argedion The TechnoFrog
    None

Jun 20, 2011
    The Infernal Swamp
    Dalvic is the current run time for your device. It looks like art will replace it

spinecho likes this.
  5. funkylogik

funkylogik share the love peeps ;)
    None

Sep 15, 2011
    Male
    monkey
    Paisley, Scotland, Western Europe
    Just a PS. before you reset, make sure in Settings, Backup And Reset, Back Up My Data is checked (i think its checked by default but just in case) :thumbup:

spinecho likes this.
  6. spinecho

spinecho Newbie
    None

Sep 11, 2012
    Thanks Guys...I took the plunge and unlocked and rooted my nexus 7 today with success.

7. WoohooGuy

WoohooGuy Android Enthusiast
    None

Dec 15, 2011
    Male
    woodworking
    boston ma
    Just an FYI, if you ever want to move to another official build of android using wugs all you have to do is set your device in wugs but select the build of android you want to migrate to.

Use wugs stock and unroot option and it will restore your device to the build you selected.

funkylogik, argedion and spinecho like this.