• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Reset Notify Request SU Access?

wetbiker7

Extreme Android User
Jun 27, 2011
So-Cal
Has anyone received a notification from SuperUser asking that Reset Notify be granted SuperUser privilege? SuperUser just asked me if I wanted to allow access and I denied.

I did a little research and found this thread over at XDA. :D

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?p=40796957

Does anyone know a little more info about this?

I went ahead and removed the ResetNotify.apk after making a backup with Titanium and nothing seems to have been affected.

Reactions: Elten
Always good advice. If you don't know what it is or why it thinks it needs root...deny

Absolutely. When in doubt, DENY. Then see what it is. Lol you can allows go back and allow it if need be.

Honestly, this is the first time I've ever had an app ask for SU access that I didn't even know was on my phone. Looks like it has to do with HTC error reporting and comes with HTC phones.

Upvote 0
Absolutely. When in doubt, DENY. Then see what it is. Lol you can allows go back and allow it if need be.

Honestly, this is the first time I've ever had an app ask for SU access that I didn't even know was on my phone. Looks like it has to do with HTC error reporting and comes with HTC phones.
Exactly. Went through the same thing the other week, came to the same conclusion.

I disabled the app, no ill effects so far :)

Upvote 0
Hello everyone. I have moved this thread to the all things root subforum. Hopefully this may bring a few more answers from people who stick just in this subforum.

Also to throw my ideas about reset notify. Maybe HTC programmed the rom to restart itself? By adding su the HTC apps have to go through it to get superuser permissions unlike before just using their system app powers

Upvote 0
Interesting. I found the app titled reset notify. I will take it to vts and find out what all is in this thing. I won't know exactly what's going on, as I'm not perfect in byte code, but I will have a good idea.

Thanks Simon. It will be nice find out what you see in the code and then get your opinion on the app.

Right after getting the notification I decided to do a little research before allowing SU access since I didn't install it. Imagine my surprise when I found out that it actually came with the ROM! lol. The majority of the posts I found said to deny so that's what I did. I even went as far as freezing with Titanium and then removing it after making sure it wouldn't have any I'll effects.

I find it interesting that a phone you buy, non rooted, actually comes with an app that will ask for SU access. Interesting huh? :D

Upvote 0
1378077689528.jpg

I had changed the logging settings in SuperSU so I could post that should it somehow help in figuring out what it's for

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones