1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Reset S7 can't get past Google log in

Discussion in 'Android Lounge' started by Bruce McH, Nov 2, 2021.

1. Bruce McH

Bruce McH Lurker

I did a factory reset on my old Galaxy s7 to give to my wife who had an issue with her phone. I did the whole process as I should and now when it comes back up it wants me to log into my Google account. It accepts my gmail address and password but always quits with an error saying "something went wrong". I also get a pop up that disappears saying something about using an owner device etc. If I go to my Google account the S7 is there, greyed out and even says there was a log in but also says it's been logged out of. It's like its aware of the log in, tracks it but never lets me actually get logged in. I thought I could just remove from my account and then set up my wife but I can't get logged in on it to finish any set up and I can't remove it. The greyed out icon in Manage Devices has the 3 little dots but the only options are 1. Find Phone 2. Recognise Device ? And it says it's "Signed Out". Its a vicious circle. I power up the phone, go through logging into my Google account, it accepts my email and password but instead of logging me in it throws an error about something going wrong. I really need to either get logged in so I can get this set up for my wife or get this device unattached from my account but I don't seem to be able to do either. Or find some app to wipe the phone but none seem to work unless the phone is set up and I can't complete set up. Not having fun so far. Please advise.
    Cheers,
    Bruce

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. Milo Williamson

Milo Williamson Android Expert

Oh that is trouble some deal.

Did you get a new sims card, or did you put in your old one for the new phone? Was it something like that?

mikedt and ocnbrze like this.
  3. ocnbrze

ocnbrze DON'T PANIC!!!!!!!!!

Dannydet and mikedt like this.
  4. Bruce McH

Bruce McH Lurker

Hi,

I don't currently have any SIM in the phone. I'm just connecting to WiFi right now.

5. Bruce McH

Bruce McH Lurker

Hi,
    I may have used the wrong terminology. I did do a hard reset and even tried the option to wipe the partition as well. A few times now and unfortunately it always comes back to the same process. It asccepts my Google account at start up but then quits with the error and I can't get past that to finish set up. And strange how it will show on my Google account ( verifying on my laptop) but the phone continues to be greyed out and says I'm signed out.

ocnbrze likes this.
  6. Bruce McH

Bruce McH Lurker

Hi again.
    I need to add this bit of info. I actually wiped this phone back early this year and it has sat on a shelf since then.
    I also noticed that when I run the reset at the bottom I see an error message about some "E: BCB failed ....etc etc " So not sure what that's about.
    Cheers

ocnbrze likes this.
  7. ocnbrze

ocnbrze DON'T PANIC!!!!!!!!!

hmmmm maybe try and flash a firmware update:

find your exact model number and go here:
    https://www.sammobile.com/firmwares/
    download the correct firmware according to your model number(make sure this is correct as flashing the wrong update could screw your phone up even more).

8. Hadron

Hadron Smoke me a kipper...
    VIP Member

Can you give us the entire error message? It might mean something to someone who reads this.

You are sure that the phone is connecting to your WiFi? You'd normally have to enter the WiFi credentials before it can do that (because a reset will wipe your WiFi settings), and that requires it is booted properly into Android. I don't know how far it is getting with the restart, but you give the impression it isn't getting very far.

Maybe try sticking a SIM in it and seeing whether a mobile data connection is possible? It's the only thing I can suggest right now because I don't really know what's happening other than it accepts the password and then at some later point stops working. If you can describe in more detail what, if anything, it does between entering the password and stopping that might help identify the problem.

ocnbrze likes this.
  9. Milo Williamson

Bruce follow Hadron's advice and give us what you see on the screen. :)

ocnbrze likes this.
  10. Bruce McH

Bruce McH Lurker

Hello,
    Here's whats happening from when I power up :
    Start screen leads to WiFi and I am connecting to my WiFi ( no SIM )
    Terms and conditions
    Runs a "checking for updates"
    Come to a Google "Verifying your account" it says " This device was reset. To continue sign in with a Google account that was previously synched on this device" Empty field is asking for Email or phone.
    Enter my Gmail address and hit next
    Prompts for password which I enter ( I also see my name and avatar with gmail address at the top of the screen at this point)
    It thinks about it and comes back with the same initial screen where its asking to verify the account because the device was reset.
    I enter email and password a 2nd time and now it comes back with a new error that "Something went wrong." "Sorry, something went wrong there. Please try again" I hit "Next"
    I'm back at the Verify account screen again saying the device was reset and it's looking for an email of phone number.
    As a side note I tried entering my phone number and it still ends up doing the same thing. I tried the option under the email field that says "Forgot email?" and it sends a verification code to my phone which I enter but then starts the process all over again.
    Also as noted before, if I go to my Google account and look up devices on my account this phone is there but is greyed out and says I'm signed out of it but it still registers a time stamp that a log in happened.
    It's great Google says this is to protect people from theft etc but this is crazy in that if I can't wipe and reformat this phone its like a brick. And my wifes phone is having issues so I'd really like to move her onto this. Frustrating for sure.
    Thanks to everyone for the support and help on this I do appreciate it !
    Cheers

11. Bruce McH

Bruce McH Lurker

Latest effort this weekend included using ODIN to do an update and while successful it just started the same old process all over again.

Milo Williamson likes this.
  12. Milo Williamson

I used that method as my old cell got super fried into it, I then turned it into the store and they gave me a different cell.

Bruce McH likes this.