• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help [Resolved by factory reset] Rear Speaker Not Working

BlazeHN

Apr 25, 2012
Hi there, i just got my HTC EVO 3D for like 2 weeks and all good since like 2 days. For some reason sound was very low even when it was on max, after a while I noticed the problem is the rear speaker its permanently turn off, currently im just listening the front one. So i was scared that the phisical speaker was broken, then i tried to make a call and put the phone on speaker and i was relieved to hear the speaker was loud and good. But it only works on phone calls, not for anything else. When I play a game, recive a call, etc. its totally off. I also tried to open a game while i was doing the phone call with speaker on and I could hear the game clear and loud but only cuz i had the phone call background.

Whats going on? :thinking:

Nop, i live in Honduras, Central America, bought it unlocked on Amazon.

Not rooted.

Hmmm Skype? :S is the only sound related app that comes to my mind, just have some few games and stuff, phone its kinda new. (hmm ill try uninstall Skype just for in case...)

Profile: Normal

Edit: Unistalled Skype, also restarted phone. Still the same :(

Reactions: marctronixx
Upvote 0
Hi there, i just got my HTC EVO 3D for like 2 weeks and all good since like 2 days. For some reason sound was very low even when it was on max, after a while I noticed the problem is the rear speaker its permanently turn off, currently im just listening the front one. So i was scared that the phisical speaker was broken, then i tried to make a call and put the phone on speaker and i was relieved to hear the speaker was loud and good. But it only works on phone calls, not for anything else. When I play a game, recive a call, etc. its totally off. I also tried to open a game while i was doing the phone call with speaker on and I could hear the game clear and loud but only cuz i had the phone call background.

Whats going on? :thinking:
Okay, we are going to do a few things. If none of the them works, then you would have to reset the device to its factory settings..

1.) Menu - settings - sounds - volume - media. Make sure this is all the way up.
2.) Play a YouTube video or a game... hold down the top volume button until the media volume is set to the highest.
3.) Here is an application that i use to boost my media and speaker phone volumes. http://0wmc.qr.ai.

Also, here is a speaker cleaner for all Android devices that works great: http://0wmf.qr.ai.

Let me know if any one of these works for you. If not, do a reset of the device. Menu - settings - SD & phone storage - scroll down to factory data reset.

Good luck. :)
P.s. You don't need to uninstall Skype. That's not the problem.

Reactions: BlazeHN
Upvote 0
Thanks again Rush Lindsay. I tried your sugestions but the problem persist, so yes I was thinking on do a factory reset. Its just that i dont want to lose again my games data, i got MyBackup App but I think it only backup aplications but not the data inside. Is there any other way to backup my game data (specially Defender 2). Sorry for bothering much and thank you!!

Upvote 0
And for your info there is no front speaker, simply an ear speaker and an exterior rear speaker. Now if the the external speaker works fine for your phone calls, sounds like something got turned off in your media settings, as Marc mention, have you installed any new apps that would most likely of changed your settings, if yes, when doing a FR, I would not sign in to Gmail as soon as you set your phone up, but I would wait and not allow Google to download my apps right away, then try playing a song with the stock music player and then report back, also once you play music if the sound is not loud, play with your volume rocker make sure the rocker is working properly.

FYI you can use Titanium Backup, that will back up your data

Upvote 0
the headphones port is serially connected to the rear speaker so if there is an intermittent issue with the headset port that causes it to lose continuity in the circuit, this can prevent the loudspeaker form operating when it needs to. inserting headphones seems to "correct" whatever is causing the loudspeaker to not work, so you could have a physical issue with the headphone port. sounds like a trip to a sprint corp. service center is in order.

Reactions: BlazeHN and DonB
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones