• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

[resolved]Chrome is a huge battery drain?

GuitarG20

Clueless Senior Member
Jun 23, 2012
Texas
Hey guys. I was wondering if anyone else noticed this.

On my HTC One X (AT&T)

So over the course of about 2 hours my battery went from 80% to shutoff, and it went from 20% to 14% to 7% to battery shutoff in 2 minutes. I managed to get the power use settings page open right before it shut off and google chrome was using the most power, like 40% (even more than it said the screen was) even though I hadn't opened it in 6 hours (and the task manager [the one built into android 4.0] said it wasn't running.)

Has anyone else noticed massive random battery drain with chrome installed? I think I am going to switch to another browser for a while and see if the issue goes away because it's really frustrating having a phone that goes from 80% to null in the span of 2 hours.

2012-08-28%252007.35.52.png

Here is a screenshot of the battery use right before it died...

I guess it is possible that Chrome got "stuck" doing some action behind the scenes and used up a lot of power. What was your reception like at the time? If chrome was trying to access the internet for some reason (like trying to downloading a large file that you wanted) with poor reception it would kill the battery quicker.

The bottom line however is that Chrome is not a usual battery drain. Try rebooting and see if it makes the problem go away. You could also uninstall and reinstall Chrome as an assurance that it is loaded correctly and has the correct permissions set.

If you still have bad battery drains, then use a program like Better Battery Stats to dig deeper into the real root of the problem. The stock Android battery app doesn't give all the information that is available in the OS system regarding battery performance. BBS and other apps can tap into that extra available information.

Upvote 0
I dont know why but mine was doing the same thing a couple weeks ago.

I had a fully charged phone when I went to my girlfriends a hour or so later. We were watching a movie and suddenly I was getting the warning beep I get when the battery is down to 15%.

I tinkered a lot with it but what finally fixed it was me turning off the phone, pulling the battery out of the phone and waiting a minute then putting it back in and turning it back on. After that no more battery drain. Even turning it off all the way didnt do it but taking the battery out did.

Upvote 0
I guess it is possible that Chrome got "stuck" doing some action behind the scenes and used up a lot of power. What was your reception like at the time? If chrome was trying to access the internet for some reason (like trying to downloading a large file that you wanted) with poor reception it would kill the battery quicker.

...I tinkered a lot with it but what finally fixed it was me turning off the phone, pulling the battery out of the phone and waiting a minute then putting it back in and turning it back on. After that no more battery drain. Even turning it off all the way didnt do it but taking the battery out did.

My reception was good the whole time (3 bars LTE, full bars Wi-Fi) since I wasn't moving around at all. And I couldn't remove my battery because the One X has a built in battery...

I actually got a solution from the second reply down on this page: Verge forums

I guess whatever it used for tilt scrolling (supposedly the gyrometer) would sometimes get stuck sending things to chrome because of bad code or something. Anyways, I turned the tilt scrolling off and all is as it should be again, so I am gonna mark this as resolved. :)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones