• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [Resolved] Contacts Unavailable

Addacus

Aug 16, 2011
Spam Prison
Okay, here is the issue this time.

I just got my phone exactly how I wanted when I noticed any new contacts I made were not showing up in my contacts list.

It only happens AFTER adding my google account, which I only need so I can access the market. I don't use it to sync my contacts, even though every time you go to enter a new one after adding a google account it adds as a google contact.

If I add the contact BEFORE adding my google account, they are visible fine. After adding it, I can't view any contacts that I add new. Any help would rock, because I am at a loss at this point. Going to try a factory data reset just thought I would post on here to get the think-tank going. Thanks in advance.

I also just went to Google contacts on the computer to look around, and I see that they have recently added a feature that allows you to restore your contacts to a prior date. I am not sure how recent this is, but it is news to me.

Do you think this could be the issue? Google just has some bugs to work out?

If so, is there anyway to add my gmail and log into the market without making it so my contacts list is tied to my google account? I want to be able to have my gmail/market on there but have my contacts as "In Phone-Unsynced" but I haven't figured out a way to do so...

Upvote 0
I also just went to Google contacts on the computer to look around, and I see that they have recently added a feature that allows you to restore your contacts to a prior date. I am not sure how recent this is, but it is news to me.

Do you think this could be the issue? Google just has some bugs to work out?

If so, is there anyway to add my gmail and log into the market without making it so my contacts list is tied to my google account? I want to be able to have my gmail/market on there but have my contacts as "In Phone-Unsynced" but I haven't figured out a way to do so...

i know there was some tower problems from boost where data connections & whole accounts were lost.. accounts like mines where i actually had no phone, mms, & also internet service for about 10hrs... i got credited 2 my account a free month 2day... try calling CS & checking if u had any data loss problems.....

Reactions: Addacus
Upvote 0
Its because your gmail doesnt have your contacts.

When you add them before logging in then gmail doenst know to add them.

You need to add them after logging in. A faster way to add them is by adding them online in your contacts. Then when you log your gmail on your phone it will update your contacts.

Android is google, so you do need gmail logged in to work most things.

Reactions: Addacus
Upvote 0
Its because your gmail doesnt have your contacts.

When you add them before logging in then gmail doenst know to add them.

You need to add them after logging in. A faster way to add them is by adding them online in your contacts. Then when you log your gmail on your phone it will update your contacts.

Android is google, so you do need gmail logged in to work most things.

The problem I was having was that it wouldn't let me add them AFTER I logged in, none would show up. Only once I added my google account did I have any trouble.

I ended up fixing the problem last night on a hunch, and I did pretty much what you said. I went to google contacts and deleted them all(since that was the reason I didn't want to sync) and then added ONE phone number to it, and actually let my phone sync. I then got an actual popup with an error that said too many deletions or something, and had me confirm.

Since then I have been able to add contacts on my phone and see them.

Thanks everyone for the suggestions!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones