• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help resolved, File Manager, manage files based on ID3 tags.

A couple best music player lists. I think Danny will be happy to know his music player made both lists.
https://fossbytes.com/best-free-android-music-players/
https://getandroidstuff.com/best-android-music-player-music-management-apps/
Yep, there's Pulsar! :)

Since I've used VLC on Linux forever, it's my go-to media app on Android, but I do enjoy trying others just to see what they're like.

And I totally agree about the original project in this thread. Definitely very niche, yet kind of logical, you know? I honestly can't recall another request like this in all the years I've been here. But the great thing about it is that it sparked discussion on doing it with Linux! :D

Upvote 0
That would be super cool to have a simple app that can search for and locate files based on ID3 tag selection (with some basic boolean search capabilities), and then allow basic file management functions (copy, move, rename, multiple select with checkboxes, bulk rename, etc.).

If possible, let me know if such an app is created. I'd love to purchase it.

Cheers,

Upvote 0
That would be super cool to have a simple app that can search for and locate files based on ID3 tag selection (with some basic boolean search capabilities), and then allow basic file management functions (copy, move, rename, multiple select with checkboxes, bulk rename, etc.).
Since every bit of that can be done at a *nix command line, it should be super easy to translate it to an Android app--if one knows how to make Android apps, of course.
If possible, let me know if such an app is created. I'd love to purchase it.

Cheers,
I can't promise anything, but if someone here is gracious enough to create said app, *I* would buy it just to thank them! :D (And I don't even need it, since I can already do it myself with a bash script.)

Upvote 0
Since every bit of that can be done at a *nix command line, it should be super easy to translate it to an Android app--if one knows how to make Android apps, of course.
Having written programs in bash(*nix) and java(android & desktop), I can tell you that what's easy in bash is not nearly as easy in java or any other programming language. I've even rewritten programs from bash to java(not easy at all). Any programmer/software developer will tell you the same.

Bash is simple because you're tapping into lots of task focused utilities/scripting languages(ie. awk, grep, sed, etc). Each has their man page, so you don't even need to leave your terminal for help. Bash can also be far less verbose(get same done with less code).

Here's a simple example of how easy it is to address a user in bash vs java. And don't get me started on more complex stuff.

Java:
Toast.makeText(getApplicationContext(), "Hello John Doe", Toast.LENGTH_LONG).show();

Bash:
echo 'Hello John Doe'

I can already do it myself with a bash script
So join the fun and share some code. I felt I was alone.

Upvote 0
I tinkered with Java a long time ago, for fun, not for my job. Anything I knew then has long been forgotten, so I'll take your word on its difficulties.
So join the fun and share some code. I felt I was alone.
You know I'd love to, but since my illness I struggle with things that once were second nature. If you want to see that I once really was capable of some nifty bash scripting, see my OP in what became our Linux mega-thread. Or this post in it where I broke down what I was doing.

I could easily write pseudo-code for this project right now, and I'm hoping that as I continue to recover, my old skills will return. Some already have! I don't need people wiping my butt and changing my diapers any more. :D

Last edited:
Reactions: Dannydet
Upvote 0
You know I'd love to, but since my illness I struggle with things that once were second nature. If you want to see that I once really was capable of some nifty bash scripting, see my OP in what became our Linux mega-thread. Or this post in it where I broke down what I was doing.
I've already seen. Wasn't questioning your prowess. I've no doubt in your abilities. Was simply asking you to join in since you said you can do it with bash.

I could easily write pseudo-code for this project right now
That's all I was asking of you in my previous post since I wasn't posting anything final. The idea was to create a very basic program and once we had that, we could expand on it and make it as complex as we needed. Typically how you write a program.

Perhaps we should quit while we're ahead. Neither of us needs to waste time on this. I don't keep physical music files anymore, if I did, I'd be using Rhythmbox or Clementine and be done with it. Those are touted as the best music players linux has to offer. And on android, don't know, too many good ones to choose from. Maybe VLC.

Upvote 0
I've already seen. Wasn't questioning your prowess. I've no doubt in your abilities.
Thanks. I can be a little touchy about certain things, and sometimes feel like I have to prove it. Considering what my brain's been through--first, a brain tumor and its surgical removal, then a few years later, sepsis (which caused multi-organ failure: cardiac, renal, respiratory)--it's literally a miracle that I can now walk and talk! It pains me that I still struggle with certain things, that my memory sometimes fails me, etc.
Was simply asking you to join in since you said you can do it with bash.
It's habit. I mean after 30+ years, I think in terms of 'I can do...blah blah blah...' I should've chosen my words more carefully, like 'in the past, I could do...' or similar. Sorry for any confusion. :)

I'd still like to see where this logical-but-very-niche project could go, over in the Linux thread...

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones