1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

[Resolved] Micro SD Card setup

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by AGC 88, Dec 3, 2018.

1. AGC 88

AGC 88 Newbie

I just inserted a new Sandisk Micro SD XC card in my phone. Was recognized.

Do I need to tell the phone to send all media (video, photos, documents..etc.) to the SD card? If so where do I do this? I didn't notice it in the Settings app.

2. Best Answer:
    Post #9 by AGC 88, Dec 4, 2018 (3 points)
  3. marctronixx

hi,

is this your first android phone? no disrespect.

there is no "one size fits all" setting. some apps dont use external storage, some do. you have to go into the app settings and if it has an option to save to SD card, it will be in there.

for example, google music has a setting, poweramp (music player) has a setting, but some apps only store to internal.

you can FORCE an app to move to SD card (go into the apps individual setting) btui note that not all the apps data will go to the SD card. some of it will still live in internal memory.

4. AGC 88

AGC 88 Newbie

No. it's not my first. My lst was a s4. It's been a while. :)

I just tried the camera app and got a message telling me photo files will be sent to the sd card it just detected. So for media files it is automatic.

#3 AGC 88, Dec 3, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 3, 2018
    marctronixx likes this.
  5. lvt

lvt Android Expert

Even the best SD card can't compete with the internal memory in read/write speeds.

The best solution is to use your internal memory as much as possible. Move your old media files to the SD card to gain more free space on internal memory.

For example if your phone comes with 32GB internal memory, use it until it has 5 or 6GB left. Leaving too much free space on internal memory is a waste of money, you paid for it.

marctronixx likes this.
  6. AGC 88

AGC 88 Newbie

True. but I've never noticed the lag time. Don't think many would. you only need the speed for apps.

marctronixx likes this.
  7. lvt

lvt Android Expert

Yes for day by day use you can hardly notice something, but when you do some heavier operations like files compression, video editing... on your phone, the difference is pretty obvious.

And after the SD card is 50% full, it becomes very slow while the internal memory still works saemlessly even when it's 90% full.

marctronixx likes this.
  8. AGC 88

AGC 88 Newbie

Very true. But for any real editing y not use a tablet at least. Better yet a desktop computer. Using the phone is for times when you don't have you're DSLR- Convenience.

marctronixx likes this.
  9. marctronixx

So not to get this topic off topic. Seems you have your question answered. If you all want to debate DSLR vs camera phone (a subject that’s talked about all over the internet) you are welcome to head to the android lounge and discuss. Let’s keeps things here relevant to the device at hand—the Note 9. :)

10. AGC 88

AGC 88 Newbie

Sure! was responding to a comment. I'm done! :) I

marctronixx likes this.

Samsung Galaxy Note 9 Forum

The Samsung Galaxy Note 9 release date was August 2018. Features and Specs include a 6.4" inch screen, 12MP camera, 6/8GB RAM, Exynos 9810 processor, and 4000mAh battery.

August 2018
Release Date
Reviews