• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help RESOLVED Network connected but no internet

SofTA

Mar 30, 2012
Hello,

About a week ago I noticed I wasn't able to send/receive phone calls. In troubleshooting this issue, I reset the network settings & the issue was resolved.

However, this is only part of the issue. Now I'm unable to access the internet unless I'm on wifi, which makes it impossible to use navigation, which I heavily rely on. Plus of course I can't use any online apps while away from home.

Also, perhaps unrelated, is within the last week or so when I'm listening to audio files they will play for 2 minutes & then shut themselves off. This happens with both apps I used for audio.

I've followed the instructions on this page: https://thedroidguy.com/samsung-gal...to-network-but-no-internet-connection-1102396 all the way through to resetting the phone. Since my phone is highly customized, I hesitate to go to all the trouble of resetting (& risking loss of access to the phone in the process), without exhausting all other troubleshooting options.

No, I haven't contacted the provider b/c provider issues are usually short-lived, my phone tells me it's got a good network connection, and it seems many others have similar problems. I did remove/replace the sim card last week, and I just did it again, but no joy.

So the phone indicates a good network, but you can't make calls and there's no internet, and you haven't contacted your carrier about the problem.

Given what you've stated, are you sure your account paid up to date, and you haven't exceeded any calls and/or data limits that your contract might have?

Who are the "many others" of whom you speak, are they on the same carrier as you?

Reactions: ocnbrze
Upvote 0
You're partly correct. I can make phone calls, but don't have internet access - the biggest issue there is navigation.
Yes my account is up to date and have have not come close to using all my data.
The "many others" is what I found when I searched for a solution - specific to the Galaxy S10 Plus, not the carrier.

Upvote 0
did you accidentally turn off Mobile Data in your network settings? I somehow did that once long ago, and had symptoms quite a bit like what you report. I ended up calling VZ tech support and the agent walked me through to check and see that indeed mobile data got turned off. To this day, I have no idea how it happened, as I don't typically fiddle with settings.

Upvote 0
You're partly correct. I can make phone calls, but don't have internet access - the biggest issue there is navigation.
Yes my account is up to date and have have not come close to using all my data.
The "many others" is what I found when I searched for a solution - specific to the Galaxy S10 Plus, not the carrier.

I'm not aware of any problems like this that are specific to the S10, well not on this board anyway, and I know of a couple of people who have S10s where I am. I have a Note20 Ultra myself.

Given what you've described and already tried, I now think you should contact your carrier customer service, and see if they can suggest anything.

Upvote 0
OK, so I DID call my carrier (Consumer Cellular) this morning, and there IS a problem w/ their 3G (my phone is 4G) but the agent wasn't specific about the problem. We created a new access point, rebooted the phone, and all SEEMED well. I was out & about & could use navigation & send texts. But my phone wasn't ringing (yes the ringer was on) & voicemail notifications started piling up. Later, upon reviewing their time stamps, they started yesterday but didn't show up till today.

I have yet to be able to retrieve the voicemails, because when I returned home I found that I'm back to not being able to send/rcv calls! No texting ability. BUT the internet is working. So I chatted w/CC customer svc online for over an hour. We tried various things, including re-updating the phone, but the update won't stay on the phone. It did this the other day, also. He had me boot into recovery mode & clear the cache (something I also did last week). Then, mid-cache-clearing process, 5PM rolled around and the chat was CUT OFF! They really should let their agents finish working with a customer!

Anyway, I think he was grasping at straws with the cache clearing. One thing he did tell me is that while they are trying to resolve their issue, it does happen that some people can ONLY have phone or ONLY have internet. So I guess I wait till tomorrow AM & start over w/a new agent - unless someone here has a brilliant idea!

Upvote 0
UPDATE
I seem to have fixed the problem. After posting last night, I tried once again to perform the system update, and again it failed. This morning I rebooted the phone and tried making a call. No go, but internet was working. I went in and deleted the new access point that was created with tech support yesterday, then rebooted again. Now everything is working! I'll keep my fingers & toes crossed (& hold my mouth just right too!) that the problem will not return.
Thank you to those who responded with suggestions.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones