1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support [Resolved] Nexus 6 uses a Nano-Sim Card

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Bren S., Oct 22, 2014.

1. halon

halon hakuna matata
    None

Apr 13, 2010
    Boilermaker, Norfolk Southern
    Altoona, Pennsylvania
    I plan on that. It would be nice to have a back up plan if the VZ stores I go to decide to be dicks. And if you look thru this short thread I've suggested that already and said why I would buy a cutter.

I just want a suggestion.

Advertisement

2. Jerry-rigged

Jerry-rigged Android Enthusiast
    None

Feb 15, 2010
    cad monkey
    Texas

From the pic posted above, looks like you have to cut the gold metal to make the notch? Hopefully that part of the chip is not needed... LOL

3. marctronixx

Oct 12, 2009
    34.0522° N, 118.2437° W
    Certainly you visit other forums and read blogs. Sim cards are being picked up for free. You can request one now. Why wait until device launch to find out?

I use sprint and I've already received a nano Sim as the one max uses micro.

4. Jerry-rigged

None

Feb 15, 2010
    cad monkey
    Texas
    Well, except for Big Red. I just bought my son a used iP5C. Needed a sim. I went to my local Vz Corp store, requested one, and they said no, can't give you one. you need to bring the phone in to have it activated. If you have an existing sim, you can swap it and activate the new phone on the VZ website...

Rxpert83 likes this.
  5. Incredidroid

Incredidroid Member
    None

Apr 20, 2010
    I tried to preemptively go to a Verizon store to get a nano sim because my g2 uses micro. Was told they can't do that because they would need IMEI of the new phone that has a nano sim to be able to activate a new nano sim.

I will be going into the store to try and get a nano when I have the phone in hand. If that doesn't work because they don't have the phone in their system yet then I will be using the cutter I got from amazon.

Rxpert83 likes this.
  6. Rxpert83

Rxpert83 Dr. Feelgood

Aug 30, 2011
    Male
    Graduate Student
    MN

That boggles my mind they won't just give you one without activating it. Why do they make it so hard? :thinking:

7. Incredidroid

Incredidroid Member
    None

Apr 20, 2010
    I have stopped asking that question. The only answer I ever get is "it's Verizon".

Rxpert83 likes this.
  8. KOLIO

KOLIO Guest
    None
    Makes no sense to me either, considering no one else's phones will work on their network, WTH gives?

Akin to some mfgs devices being automatically registered for warranty service the day that it is manufactured,why wouldn't/couldn't phones built for VZW already be in their system.
    Then,once activated w/a SIM Card, the phone/network/owner(account) are automagically linked.

9. Jerry-rigged

None

Feb 15, 2010
    cad monkey
    Texas

Yeah, and it got worse. Above was trip #1, before I got the phone. So Trip #2, I have phone in hand, go into the Vz corp store on my lunch break, and I tell the guy, I need a sim, but do not turn the phone on, I will *288 it tonight. I don't want my son's phone disconnected (he was at school and had a swim meet that evening). Vz dude says Ok, gets a sim, pokes at his PC for a few minutes, then says "ok, done, please make a test call to make sure it works" Wait - I just said DON'T ACTIVATE IT. "Well, sir, if I don't activate the phone, I can't give you the sim..."

And Yes, he took the *already activated* sim out of the phone, and trashed it. And yes, there was later a trip #3 to finally activate the phone...

10. wtherrell

wtherrell Android Enthusiast
    None

Aug 1, 2010
    North Carolina
    I called Verizon customer service. Asked for a nano sim, DFILLSIM4FF-A.
    They sent it to me FedEx 2 day completely free of charge.

11. GoldPaintedLemons

None

Jan 12, 2015
    Wanted to share my experience as I went through a lot to get this done and finally have success.

First, I had a lot of issues because I had cut a full sim (DIRECTSIM4G-D) all the way down from an activated droid bionic. This got me service, but not LTE. This took a lot of troubleshooting to figure out since even cut down it was getting LTE in the bionic via an adapter. BTW, I cut down using a Noosy sim cutter & adapters, I recommend the cutter highly, but in retrospect I wish I'd never bought it as this isn't what ultimately got me all set up.

Second, the Sim that they'd have you use (if they carried this) is actually DFILL4FF-NFC-A - which is what the moto x takes. Luckily my wife got a 2014 moto x and I was able to activate in hers, then shift it over, now everything is perfect.

From other people's experience, I think a DFILLSIM4FF-A, or BULKSIM4FF-A will work if you can get it activate in another device first. Don't bank on it though. I had to use DFILL4FF-NFC-A I think simply because they would not let me activate a BULKSIM4FF-A in the wife's moto x even though that IS an nano sim, kinda crazy.

12. altjx

altjx Member
    None

Mar 5, 2010
    Morning all!

I currently just got my Nexus 6 from Google Play and I primarily used my Galaxy S5 on Verizon's network. However, yesterday I tried printing out a template to cut the Micro SIM down to a nano SIM, but when I put it in my Nexus 6, it never picked up anything.

So as I'm currently sitting without any VZW network service, I'm trying to decide the best and cheapest way for me to get my Nexus 6 activated.

Should I just get a replacement sim for the Galaxy S5 and use a Micro SIM -> Nano SIM cutter from Amazon? Or is there perhaps a really cheap phone (supporting nano SIM) that I can buy today from Verizon and have them activate it?

What do you all suggest for me to get my Nexus 6 up and going ASAP?

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

13. Crashdamage

Crashdamage Android Expert
    None

Feb 25, 2011
    Mostly retired
    Kansas City, Mo.
    Can't you just go to a Verizon store and pick up a nano SIM?

14. altjx

altjx Member
    None

Mar 5, 2010
    They won't activate it unless I have a phone that supports it if I'm not mistaken. I've also seen some suggestions on just borrowing someone's phone and getting it activated, but that doesn't sound right. I don't understand how you can activate one phone with multiple sims or if that's even possible.

15. Crashdamage

Crashdamage Android Expert
    None

Feb 25, 2011
    Mostly retired
    Kansas City, Mo.
    Arrrggghhh...I wasn't thinking about you having to deal with friggin' Verizon. Well, you should be able to get a new micro SIM and you'll just have to cut it down. Then pop it in the Nexus 6 and you should be good.

16. altjx

altjx Member
    None

Mar 5, 2010
    Indeed! Thanks for your reply.

I went to Verizon to get a replacement SIM for my Galaxy S5 (since I screwed it up trying to cut it yesterday), and then I took it to a cell phone repair shop since they mentioned they have a cutter. Once they cut it with their cutter, popped it into the Nexus 6, it switched from No SIM to No Service. Shortly thereafter, I was on LTE.

Thanks again.

Tags: