• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Resources for Developers for making CWM Recovery and ROMs (and other stuff)

David Dubz

Android Enthusiast
Aug 3, 2012
United States
There hasn't been much going on root-wise with this phone since the kernel source code was released. I'm not sure if this is because that developers are working on other phones or if that the resources are scattered around the forums. Either way, I thought I'd make this thread to put all these resources in one place. That way, developers can easily find everything they need to make awesome stuff for this phone! :thumbup:

Here's what we have so far : (lemme know if anything is missing)

CWM Recovery

ZTE N9810 Series JellyBean kernel(3.4.x) source code

Note: Kernels are identical for the ZTE Vital and ZTE Supreme. Md5 is the same.

Alternate source code file unzipped and simplified (thanks to vynylscratch)

MD5: 26c8c1fdfc5d8f18d030fc41cb48f73d

Stock Supreme System, Boot, and Recovery files (from Mobstergunz)

ZTE Vital USB Drivers (from ryanb876)

APN info (from Mancow60)

Folder of the stock ZTE Vital (build.prop, boot.img, etc.)[from stevestone]

It's unknown if building CWM through this tool will work for our phone, but it's worth trying - Recovery Builder

Porting CWM to a new device (xda)

Guide to Compiling CWM Recovery (Thanks Mancow60)

Insecured boot.img (Thanks stevestone)

To flash the insecure boot.img, use these commands... (after putting boot.img in the root of the built in sd card and renamed "boot.img")
adb shell
su
dd if=/sdcard/boot.img of=/dev/block/platform/msm_sdcc.1/by-name/boot

*Nobody but yourself is responsible if you break your device this way. Stevenstone tried it and it worked, but be careful. Accidents happen.

If you find a way to make CWM and you want to test it on your device, take the CWM recovery.img, rename it to "recovery.img" if you haven't already, and put it on the root folder of your phone's built in sd card (not the external sd card unless you swapped the sdcards using this tutorial. If you swapped the sdcard, put it in the root of the external sdcard).

Then type these commands in terminal emulator...
adb shell

su

dd if=/sdcard/recovery.img of=/dev/block/platform/msm_sdcc.1/by-name/recovery

reboot recovery

If the recovery becomes bricked, download the recovery image from here and do the same steps as above (only this time your reflashing the stock recovery).

I will try to get in contact with some developers that might help port at least Clockworkmod (CWM) recovery to this phone. Best of luck :)

Developer help? should i sync complete cynagen repo for building recovery? Its around 15gb will take 10 hrs to 4 days , some developer said?

I'm really ignorant with developing, does this help at all? :http://androidforums.com/triumph-all-things-root/664633-yet-another-how-build-mtdev-style.html

It's from my old phone and the developer dsmryder created a How-to-build.

Here is another link that I hope helps:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1866545

Upvote 0
I build a recovery from source.. DAMMMM COMPLETELY F**KED UP.. I WASTED many hours, into this. major guides for building from source are outdated. They throw errors.

please someone test it and give me feedback as soon as possible.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/c7e7h05efc7eu61/recoverytest1.img

I cannot test it. As i dont have any insurance or warranties or anything, in case it get bricked.

so flash it with your own responsibity dont blame me.. Though i am 99% sure it wont, as i double checked twice about recovery.fstab file..

for flashing this :-

Code:
adb shell
su  dd if=/sdcard/recovery.img of=/dev/block/platform/msm_sdcc.1/by-name/recovery 
reboot recovery

Upvote 0
I build a recovery from source.. DAMMMM COMPLETELY F**KED UP.. I WASTED many hours, into this. major guides for building from source are outdated. They throw errors.

please someone test it and give me feedback as soon as possible.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/c7e7h05efc7eu61/recoverytest1.img

I cannot test it. As i dont have any insurance or warranties or anything, in case it get bricked.

so flash it with your own responsibity dont blame me.. Though i am 99% sure it wont, as i double checked twice about recovery.fstab file..

for flashing this :-

Code:
adb shell
su  dd if=/sdcard/recovery.img of=/dev/block/platform/msm_sdcc.1/by-name/recovery 
reboot recovery

Nice try, but unfortunately it didn't work. I get a blank screen with the notification light red.

Also no worries, if you are testing out new recoveries, it won't brick your phone. It will only brick the recovery at worst. Even then, you can just move the stock recovery back easily. So my phone works fine and I swapped out the recovery you made with the stock one :)

Keep trying! We're getting closer...

Upvote 0
I tried but it ain't working.. I created atleast 3 builds but all got wasted. Some dev said me that, you should insecure your boot.img... I risked my device, and flashed insured boot.img and thank god my phone booted....

If anyone need insecure boot.img below is the link :-
https://www.dropbox.com/s/pggj0zyh5krznup/insecuredboot.img

for flashing it, please rename it to boot.img and paste it in your sdcard.

Code:
adb shell
su

I flashed on my device working 100%... But still its on your risk.. dont blame me later.. whats the benefit of insecured boot.img plz do google..

now, tomorrow. I will try again.. please help, I have setup all build enviornment with 10.1 jelly repo sync..

I tried port for our device by xda university method, koush method, and shaan method.. none are working for us.. and even tried flipping with galaxy s3 sprint recovery as both device share same resolution and cpu... but none worked..

we are close. We need some experienced developer help.. help..

Upvote 0
I tried but it ain't working.. I created atleast 3 builds but all got wasted. Some dev said me that, you should insecure your boot.img... I risked my device, and flashed insured boot.img and thank god my phone booted....

If anyone need insecure boot.img below is the link :-
https://www.dropbox.com/s/pggj0zyh5krznup/insecuredboot.img

for flashing it, please rename it to boot.img and paste it in your sdcard.

Code:
adb shell
su

I flashed on my device working 100%... But still its on your risk.. dont blame me later.. whats the benefit of insecured boot.img plz do google..

now, tomorrow. I will try again.. please help, I have setup all build enviornment with 10.1 jelly repo sync..

I tried port for our device by xda university method, koush method, and shaan method.. none are working for us.. and even tried flipping with galaxy s3 sprint recovery as both device share same resolution and cpu... but none worked..

we are close. We need some experienced developer help.. help..

Thanks for trying so hard. Don't risk your phone just for CWM Recovery. I wish I could help, but I can't put linux on my computer since other people use it. And virtualbox wouldn't help much with my computer. I'm still trying to contact some developers. I think junkie2100 might still be able to help possibly since he asked for the kernel source code in the first place.

Upvote 0
complete compilation log..
https://www.dropbox.com/s/ocjw75vj1de8kuy/log.txt

please see the log...

It was successful, but it still black display with charging led.. I talked to one of the official cwm member, he asked me, does your phone detect ADB...

but it doesnt, So its not an display issue or pixel format, or framebuffer is toast/wrong...

. ZTE has done something weird in kernel image.. We need to figure out what is that.

ITs doesn't boot up properly.
Today i am going to try with kernel source rather then prebuilt kernel.. As i see our recovery get crashed as soon s it try to go in recovery mode and no logs are generated..

When we try to port recovery from other it does get detected in ADB.. like i tried one with sprint galaxy s3..

developer please help... I a trying hard.. please if you can only show me the direction, I will highly appreciate it..

Upvote 0
something is messy with this device. DAMM ZTE.. They have changed something in the kernel. Figuring it out is the most difficult part..I dont know if i should loose hope on this.

only some advance developer can help us.. I tried many way... :(

Let junkie reply on this.. He is the hope.. and guess we should create one bounty thread..As this thing doesn't give anything to developers.. They just give there time with getting nothing back in return.

Upvote 0
well, luckily for you some of us developers have nothing better to do at 6am on a friday morning... sorry guys have a number of things im working on, or supposed to be working on anyway lol, but i said id do what i could when i could, and i am doing so now. running a build using the new kernel source provided. hopefully it should work out

be ready to test cwm in the very near future, and for reference builder usually doesnt work right... you gotta have the source locally

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones