• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Restore Android to out-of-the-box freshness

colman

Lurker
Apr 22, 2010
I bought my MyTouch 3G (non-slide) from eBay. It runs ok but it freezes a decent amount and some days are better than others for how long it takes to get connected to WiFi connections.

Is there a way I can do a reset on it to wipe everything ever done to it and, like, flash a fresh install of Android on it? I don't want to upgrade the Android version, I just want to reload it from scratch so the phone would be as if it was new out of the box.

If I did it, would it automatically download any needed OS updates from T-Mobile?
Thanks.

well you could do a factory reset on it, that wipes everything off of it like it came in the box. if you want to be able to flash different roms and os's you would have to root the phone. if youre gonna do that you might as well just install a new rom on it and upgrade to android 2x. but if you want to stick with 1.6 you just need to factory reset it

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones